Preparing ahead of time
Getting ready for self-isolation
Here are four things you may want to think about in case you need to self-isolate.
1) Think ahead and plan
Have a think about the things you use on an everyday basis. Bear in mind that you may not be able to go to the shops for at least ten days. You will have to wear a face covering each time you leave your room, and you will have to clean shared facilities when you use them.
With those thoughts in mind, do you have enough of the following on-hand in your room if you needed them?
- Disinfectant wipes
- Face coverings
- Hand sanitiser
- Sanitary products
Always be careful and follow the safety precautions listed on the products.
2) Food and drink
Remember, you can always order food deliveries when you're self-isolating, and you can still use your kitchen.
However you may want to plan ahead of time and have a small supply of basic essentials in which have long shelf-lives and are easy to prepare:
- Breakfast cereal
- Pasta, rice, noodles and grains
- Tinned fruit, vegetables, soup and pulses
- Hot drinks like coffee, hot chocolate, or tea
- Long-life or powdered milk
- Baking parchment, tin foil and cling-film
- Condiments like sugar and salt
- Some extra bottles of water
Always read the label and keep an eye on their shelf life.
Talk to your pharmacist or GP about which medication is right for you, and buy enough to last you a few weeks:
- Anti-histamines or other allergy medications
- Cough and cold remedies
- Diarolyte and imodium for diarrhoea
Always read the label and keep an eye on their shelf life. For example, if you buy Lemsip, it has paracetamol in it, so you must be careful not to take too much.
If you have a repeat prescription think about ordering it in good time.
You might want to think about what would help you if you felt unwell or needed to stay in all day. Here are a few of our ideas:
- Charging your phone from your bed - emergency phone charger
- Exercising in your room - indoor exercise equipment
- Staying warm - warm clothes, hot water bottle or heated blanket
- Sleeping during the day - eye mask and ear plugs
Always be careful and follow and safety precautions listed on the product.