How to share your facilities if you are self-isolating
The cleaners will be providing enhanced cleaning for touch points such as handrails, door handles, push-plates and digilocks. Find out how you can use your other shared facilities and keep them clean.
If you have symptoms
If you have symptoms, do not use shared spaces such as the kitchen at the same time as other people - eat your meals in your room.
- Work out a kitchen rota so you are able to socially distance within your kitchen group or household – this will help you to limit time together in communal spaces
- Clean kitchen surfaces before and after use
- Don’t share crockery, glasses and cutlery and keep your equipment away from others
- Wash up immediately after eating and use your own tea towel for drying everything
- If on campus, follow the local guidelines about the use of kitchens. We advise that your check the Residential Life self-isolation webpage for additional information when self-isolating in residences.
If you're in a hall with communal bathrooms, please make sure you vacate the bathroom which will be cleaned twice-daily. You will be provided with the daily times in advance.
If you're off-campus and living in a household with communal bathrooms, we advise that you set up a bathroom cleaning rota (cleaning twice daily where possible).
As part of your cleaning rota, pay extra attention (enhanced cleaning) to touch points such as handrails and door handles.
If you have symptoms and can use a separate bathroom we advise you to do so - or, use the bathroom after everyone else and clean it each time you use it, for example, by wiping the surfaces you've touched.
Rubbish collection - if self-isolating on campus
If your flat is in self-isolation we have clear Government guidelines over the handling of your waste and rubbish, please make sure you follow these guidelines carefully to protect the teams who are supporting you in the residences:
- As you are in self-isolation and not allowed to leave your accommodation, we have arranged for a bin to be delivered to your flat door. This bin will be changed over daily (Mon-Fri) for you during your period of self-isolation.
- It is really important that all personal waste including tissues, used face masks etc. must be held in your personal waste bins in your bedroom for 72 hours before disposing in the bin placed outside your flat
- Kitchen waste can be tied up in the bags provided and disposed of in the bin at your flat door on a daily basis but must not contain any personal waste such as tissues etc.
- Support whilst you self-isolate (including ordering food online and our emergency on campus laundry service)