Coventry Haven help women who have experienced or are experiencing domestic violence to free themselves from the situation they are in. They do this by providing safe housing and a number of support services. These services are run by staff and volunteers and are free of charge.
Please note this is not the website for Coventry Haven, if you wish to contact the centre directly please call 024 76 652878
Community Outreach Volunteer
- Raising awareness of domestic violence and abuse in the community.
- Offering support and advice to women living with domestic violence concerns.
- Co-ordinate and facilitate sessions for women experiencing domestic violence, providing a safe environment for them to relax and socialise with other women.
- Deliver sessions on topics of interest for the women according to their requirements.
Referrals and frontline service delivery
- Answering the telephone and dealing with clients
- Admin duties
- carrying out support/listening session with clients
- signposting clients/giving out advice and information.
- Provide a quality and confidential counselling service to service users.
- Must be experienced and qualified to Diploma level (2nd year Diploma)
- Answering the telephone and dealing with clients/external organisations
- Organising and being responsible for mini-projects.
Why get involved?
A few hours a week, Monday-Friday (daytime) for a minimum of 6 months
They welcome applications from women over the age of 18, and are keen to recruit volunteers from different cultural backgrounds and with different language capabilities. If you can speak English and another language preferably French, Bengali or an Eastern European language they would love to hear from you.
You will also be required to complete training, a DBS check (for some roles) and reference checks.
How to get involved
If you are interested in this project please email lpost at btconnect dot com. They will then contact you to arrange an interview, and if selected, you will be invited to a training course. The course will be held once a week over a period of 4 to 6 weeks, and will cover a variety of topics including:
- the dynamics and impact of domestic abuse
- communication skills
- referrals and advocacy skills
- Coventry Haven policies
If after training you are considered suitable you will be offered a placement. Most volunteers work in the outreach team dealing with face to face and telephone enquiries
For more information visit: http://www.coventryhaven.co.uk/
This project is not managed by Warwick Volunteers.
This is an external opportunity
Warwick Volunteers cannot be held responsible for external volunteering opportunities advertised, but we do make every effort to ensure that all the information we publish is accurate. We advise volunteers to use their own judgement when selecting potential opportunities, and to check all details concerning prospective volunteering activity with the organisation involved. Please make sure that you have received all necessary training and information regarding your own health and safety before commencing volunteering.