- Attention Message
The Personal Support Unit is a volunteer led charity that supports people going through Civil and Family Legal Proceedings without access to legal representation.
- Block 1 Header
- Block 1 text
Court based volunteers
Attending court alone is daunting. Those we support are usually unable to access any formal legal help, yet need to be able to present their own case clearly and without emotion – often facing professional barristers in court. At a time of great stress, this can seem an insurmountable task.
Our volunteers provide both reassurance and guidance, so that our clients have the very best chance of engaging with the courts in a dignified away.
Volunteers support clients by:
• explaining how the court works
• helping to fill in court forms and organise court papers
• helping clients plan what they want to say in court
• going into court hearings with them
- Block 2 Header
- Block 2 text
Coventry Combined Court Centre
140 Much Park Street
- Block 3 header
- Block 3 text
Due to the level of training required, we ask that volunteers commit to volunteering at least two days per month on Mondays from 9.30am-4.00pm.
- Block 4 header
- Block 4 text
We are looking for reliable volunteers with initiative, problem solving skills, people and communication skills. Legal knowledge is not necessary, although some familiarity with the legal environment is helpful and good command of spoken/ written English is essential. There is a lower and upper age limit of 18-82 years old.
Successful applicants are required to:
- provide two satisfactory references
- attend 1 day classroom induction training
- complete 3 days shadowing
- Block 6 header
Why get involved?
- Block 6 text
In return, PSU volunteers receive:
• training and support for working with clients
• reimbursement of travel and lunch expenses
• experience of the court system
• a feeling of satisfaction from helping people in difficult situations
- block 5 header
How to get involved
- block 5 text
Sign-Up is now closed for 2018-19
Interested volunteers will be asked to complete an application form and suitable applicants will be invited to an interview.