The University environmental targets are reviewed regularly.
You may also want to take a look at our Environmental Management System policy, as signed by Director of Estates, James Breckon.
- The University currently sends 2.8% of its waste to landfill. The University aims to reduce waste to Landfill to 2.8% or less of ‘total waste’ by end 2018/19.
- During 2017/18 the University met its target of 60%. The University will aim to improve the Recycling Rate waste diverted to landfill to 66% or over by end 2018/19.
- The University will maintain disposal of 100% of waste cooking oil sustainably, for re-use/ conversion into bio-fuel.
- Food Waste Strategy and Sustainable Food Policies are under development
- To implement a monitoring system by end of 2018/19 to gain greater knowledge of Construction waste
- Aim to achieve a 2% rolling reduction per FTE in water consumption per annum.
- The University has replaced more than 45% of its diesel fleet with Electric vehicles during 2018. The University will continue to replace its diesel service vehicle fleet with electric vehicles by end of 2019.
- Introduce at least one high profile environmentally-friendly transport initiative per annum.
The University will advance along the Sustainable Procurement flexible framework:
- Progress on Flexible Framework towards level 4 by end 2018/19
Emissions and Discharges:
- A revised 2030 carbon emissions target will be reviewed by the University by end 2019..
- The University will map its scope 3 carbon emissions by end 2019.
- Do at least 1 new ecology and/or biodiversity intervention on campus per year.
Construction & Refurbishment
- The University will implement a soft landing process on 3 capital projects by end of 2018/19
- The University will coordinate the 3rd Green Week with local community partners by end March 2019