Skip to main content

Visa Information

Information and guidance on which type of visa will be required for Executive Education courses.

Do I need immigration permission to study for an Executive Education course?

To check whether or not you need immigration permission to study on one of our Executive Education courses, please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website as immigration (visa) regulations change very often. Even if you think you may not need immigration permission, we strongly advise you to look through Warwick’s Immigration Service for information and advice.

What type of immigration permission do I need?

Almost all of our students for the Executive Education Courses apply for a Short Term Study visa as this is the most appropriate. You will need a visa invitation letter from us to support your application and to prove your acceptance on the course.

You should apply for the Executive Education course as early as possible as the visa process can often take time. In some cases you may want to apply for a different visa depending on your circumstances. If you think you may need a different visa - get in touch.

If you already have a visa that is valid until after the programme finishes, you may be able to use this to attend the Executive Education course . We recommend you also get in touch to discuss your visa arrangements.

Will I receive a visa invitation letter?

Yes. Once you have received an offer and completed the online registration form and paid for your course (tuition fees), we will provide you with a visa support letter that can be used for your visa application. We will send this automatically. We will ask you to send us the address you will be staying at during the course as we will need to provide this on your visa support letter.

To ensure that you receive your immigration permission in time for the course we recommend that you pay your tuition fees as early as possible to prevent any delays in the visa application process.

Where do I apply?

This depends on your nationality. If you are a 'visa national', you must apply outside the UK to enter as a Short-term Student. Visa nationals always need a visa prior to entering the UK. You can check if you are a visa national on the website.

If once you have completed the form and it says, "You won’t need a visa to come to the UK. However, you should bring documents with you to show at the border", you are a 'non-visa national'. This means that you can choose to apply at the embassy in your own country for permission before you leave, or alternatively you can bring all your documents and apply at the border when you arrive in the UK. If you apply at the airport, there is no charge.

Please see Warwick's Immigration Service for details on where to apply. There is a heading which says, "Where do I apply for a Short-Term Student visa". You will need to register an account before applying in order to apply for the correct visa - a 'Short-Term Student visa'. If you are ever asked for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number - you are most likely applying for the incorrect visa. A CAS number is only issued to full time students who need a tier 4 visa.

What documents do I need to submit?

In addition to the invitation letter from Warwick you need to show:

  • you are over 18 years old
  • your visit will not last longer than 6 months (unless you are applying for the extended English language Student Visitor visa)
  • you intend to leave the UK at the end of your student visit
  • you do not intend to work
  • you have enough money to support yourself while in the UK
  • you can pay for your return journey home (you can show a return ticket)

More detailed information can be found at Warwick's Immigration Service website under the heading, "What documents do I need to apply for a Short-term Student visa?" We strongly recommend you read this page thoroughly before applying for your visa to eliminate any chance of visa refusal.

How long will it take for my visa invitation letter to arrive?

Depending on where you live, your visa letter can take up to 2 weeks to arrive. Letters are sent out via DHL recorded delivery.

What happens if I don't receive my immigration permission in time?

If you applied for your immigration permission with plenty of time (7 weeks before the start of the programme) and can provide evidence of this, and you have not received your visa in time for the course - we will transfer your place to a subsequent course, but we will need to issue another visa support letter and you will need to reapply for your visa. Alternatively we can refund your tuition fees minus a £50 administration fee.

However, if you left it too late to apply for your visa we will not be able to provide a refund.

What if my visa is refused?

If your visa is refused, we will refund your tuition fees minus a £50 administration charge.

If you receive a visa refusal you may wish to contact Warwick's Immigration Service who can give you advice on how to proceed.