In this year at Warwick:
- The International Office was established to provide a focus for international students.
- The Warwick Institute for Employment Research was established.
- Professor Kumar Bhattacharyya was appointed as Professor of Manufacturing Systems in the Engineering Department.
- Simon Mayo and Frank Skinner (then Chris Collins) graduated.
Fay Godwin achieved recognition as one of the outstanding photographers of her generation and a supreme exponent of studies of the British landscape.
Her images are never sentimental and she was acutely aware of the way the natural environment has been changed through the occupation and intervention of past and present generations.
Her books often involved collaboration with eminent literary figures, including John Fowles, Ted Hughes and Alan Sillitoe. The most influential of her books was Land (1985), a compilation of work carried out over a ten year period which sealed her reputation as an artist with both critics and the public.
And in the world:
- Prince Charles married Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul’s Cathedral.
- MTV went on the air.
- AIDS was first identified.
Professor Lord Bhattacharyya
Fay Godwin | White Cloud near Bilsington, Kent | 1981 | Silver gelatin photograph