Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Stay safe off campus during Covid-19

Play your part: keeping local communities safe

We all have a role to play to keep ourselves and our communities safe.

We have put measures to protect each other in place on campus. We have also prepared this guidance to help protect you and the local communities you live in. These questions address living off-campus. Our guidance will change if local/national restrictions come into force in Coventry or Warwickshire, so please keep checking for updates.

Sharing a home

How should I manage moving in?

Many purpose built student accommodation (PBSA) providers are putting in specific arrangements to safely manage students moving in e.g. booking arrival timeslots, contactless key collections, restricting numbers of people accompanying students etc. Please contact your provider and ask what arrangements are in operation.

If you are moving in to a shared house (HMO) then it is important that you take precautions, such as:

  • Help from family and friends is kept to a minimum once you reach the property
  • Follow guidelines for cleaning hands and wearing face coverings as appropriate

You are forming a new household with your housemates and your parents and friends are not part of this household and so appropriate precautions should be taken.

Whether you’ll be living on-campus or off-campus this year, you can find out accommodation updates and information on the Stay Safe at Warwick: Accommodation pages.

If you will be arriving from another country you should follow the latest advice on the UK Government website around self-isolation requirements.

There is specific guidance about living in Warwick managed off-campus accommodation. You can find detailed information on how students need to self-isolate which is in line with UK government advice.

I'm living with other students in a shared house, how do we keep each other safe?

It’s really important to keep yourself, your housemates and neighbours as safe as possible. You can do this by:

  • Washing your hands regularly, for at least 20 seconds, with soap
  • Strictly avoiding contact with someone who has symptoms
  • Keeping your room as ventilated as possible by keeping a window open when you’re in your room. But remember to close your window when you're out.
  • Don’t share crockery, glasses and cutlery and keep your equipment away from others
  • Remember to use a separate tea towel for drying everything
  • Clean surfaces before and after use with your normal cleaning products

Visitors and social distancing

Am I allowed visitors in my home or garden?

From 17 May:

  • Groups of up to 30 people can meet outside, and indoor gatherings will be limited to 6 people or 2 households (each household can include a support bubble, if eligible).

See guidance on what is permitted from 17 May.

How do I keep myself safe on a night out?

You can read our top tips on how to keep yourself safe and report crimes. It is important to report crime when you are in danger and after it occurs.

What if others around me aren’t following guidelines?

If you notice that someone is not following the guidelines, please let them know in a friendly and polite way. If someone reminds you of the guidelines, please don’t take offence – it's easy to forget, and we all have a role to play in keeping each other safe. Contact the SU Advice Centre or Wellbeing Support Services.

You can also read about your Community Responsibilities, including the Covid-19 student escalation and disciplinary framework we have in place.


What do I do if I have Coronavirus symptoms?

Step 1: Stay home and self-isolate

It is really important that you stay home and self-isolate if you have symptoms or have already tested positive.

See our Test and Trace FAQs page for guidance on what you should do if you think you have coronavirus..

Step 2: Contact the Test and Trace team

For details please see our Test and Trace webpages to book an appointment and tell us if you have tested positive for Covid-19 off campus.

You can also read our guidance for Warwick students below.

Symptomatic testing

How do I get a coronavirus test and support tracing?

You should get a test as soon as possible after showing symptoms.

We have a Covid-19 Test and Trace service in place for students and staff. It complements the existing NHS provision, offering a self-swab test on campus with results the next day.

You can access a Covid-19 test either through the University Test and Trace Service, your nearest NHS test centre or by ordering an NHS home test kit. Find your nearest NHS test centre or order a home test kit online.

If the University Test and Trace service is your closest, go to our dedicated Test and Trace webpage to complete a Contact Trace Form that will generate an appointment for you to attend our Test and Trace Centre to take a Covid-19 test.

If you use the University Test and Trace Service we will automatically record you as symptomatic and if you receive a positive test result we will automatically record you as a new case. Using our service will mean you receive further guidance and assistance specific to being a student at the University of Warwick. It will also mean that detailed tracing can be done on your behalf in relation to staff and students you may have been in contact with on campus and where necessary rooms you have visited can be deep cleaned.

If you receive a positive test from an NHS test centre or NHS home test kit please still fill in our form at the Test and Trace Service, so detailed tracing on campus and cleaning can be carried out. Submission of this form will automatically notify relevant support teams who will contact you to provide you with guidance and assistance.

If you feel very unwell, you can also call 111. This is free from a UK mobile phone but if you are calling from an international mobile phone, this number may not work or you may be charged. Their alternative number is 0300 0200155. It is important to advise them if you live alone, without means of support.

A note on "Freshers’ flu"

Every year, we expect a number of students to become unwell with what’s known as "Freshers’ flu". Because some of the symptoms are the same as Covid-19, it’s really important that we take precautions and follow the advice above until we establish that it isn’t Covid-19. That means that both you, and those you live with should self-isolate until a test comes back as negative.

Do I need to self-isolate?

Visit our self-isolation webpages to find out when you should self-isolate.

Should you need to self-isolate, you will need to arrange online deliveries and observe social distancing guidelines when accepting these deliveries. Find out how to get food deliveries and other essential items.

What should I do if someone in my shared house is displaying coronavirus symptoms or has tested positive for coronavirus?

The Government has issued guidance for households with possible or confirmed coronavirus infection.

The same guidance applies to occupants of shared properties. All the occupants of the home should behave in the same way as a single household if one or more occupants have symptoms of coronavirus.

If someone in your household develops symptoms you should self-isolate at home for 10 days from when the symptoms started. In line with Government guidance, all other residents of the home must also stay at home and not leave the house for 10 days, providing they remain well for that time. Should they develop symptoms they should then self-isolate for 10 days from the onset of symptoms or longer if symptoms persist. Where possible, individuals should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, and any exercise should be taken within your home.

If you share facilities or common areas with other people, all residents should always do their very best to follow guidance to stay at home and away from others. Everyone in the household should regularly wash their hands, avoid touching their face, and clean frequently touched surfaces.

If you do have to self-isolate, you should try to minimise your interactions with other members of your household. You might consider setting up a rota for using the kitchen and bathroom throughout the day so you can limit time together in communal spaces.

For further information, please see our self-isolation guidance.

Asymptomatic testing

On campus

Remember if you are living, studying or working regularly on campus you have access to two lateral flow tests per week. The asymptomatic testing service is only for people who have no symptoms of Coronavirus. Find out more and book or collect your tests.

Local area

If you are living in the local area and do not come to campus regularly for teaching or study, there are also local testing centres you can access for asymptomatic testing.

How do I travel to campus safely?

Campus is open and we look forward to welcoming you back with our measures to keep each other safe.

Before you travel, think carefully about the times, routes and ways of getting here so we all have more space. Avoiding peak times helps keep the transport network running and allows people who need to make essential journeys to travel. If possible, please try to walk or cycle to campus. This reduces the pressure on public transport and is a great way to keep fit, which helps our wellbeing too, which is all the more important at this time.

Do not travel if you have symptoms, unless you are visiting a coronavirus test site, or if you have recently tested positive. We have put together some detailed information about how to travel to campus safely. It covers the different modes of transport and how to use them safely.

If you are queueing, please be conscientious of other pedestrians who may wish to use the pavement too.

What safety precautions do I need to take when I am out and about in my local community?

It’s a difficult time for all of us at the moment and now more than ever we need to be kind and respectful of others. This includes our neighbours and local community when living and visiting off-campus.

When you’re out about in the local community – whether that’s doing your food shop or travelling to campus for study – you'll need to follow government guidance. This includes:

  • Washing your hands – doing this regularly is one of the best ways to keep yourself and others safe
  • Wearing a face covering – it must cover your nose and mouth in enclosed spaces, including in shops and when travelling on public transport. It is important to wash or sanitise your hands before and after touching your face covering.
  • Social distancing – you should stay at least a metre away from people not in your household.

Remember that if you’re feeling unwell, get a test and don’t leave home for at least 10 days.

You’ll also need to remember that it’s the law to wear a face covering when on public transport, including buses, trains, aircraft, ferries and when in enclosed bus or train stations. You should also wear a face covering in taxis and private hire vehicles. If you have symptoms or have recently tested positive, you should not make use of public transport.

When do I need to wear a face covering?

There are some places where you must wear a face covering by law. You must wear a face covering in line with Government advice.

You should observe the guidance displayed by individual shops and public transport providers to keep yourself and others safe.

You should also wear a face covering in indoor places not listed here where social distancing may be difficult and where you will come into contact with people you do not normally meet.

There are some circumstances where face coverings may not be worn. For example, people who cannot put on, wear or remove them because of an illness, impairment or disability. Alternatively, you may be asked to remove a face covering for identification purposes, such as when buying age restricted products, or when getting a haircut. More detailed guidance is available on the Government website.

Use of a face covering is not a substitute for other ways of managing risk. You should continue to wash your hands for 20 seconds more frequently and minimise the you spend in contact with others.

There is specific guidance about wearing face coverings on campus to keep one another safe.

Who do I contact if I need some support?

We are providing student support and advice to students via Wellbeing Support Services. You can find out more about our new Wellbeing Strategy, access our Wellbeing Support Services FAQs and check MyWarwick for more updates and resources on Maintaining your Wellbeing. You can also contact the SU Advice Centre.

In an emergency involving crime, contact the police on 999 or 101 for a non-emergency.

If you are having problems with your landlord or noise from your neighbours, you should contact your local authority. This is Warwick District Council for students living in Leamington Spa or Kenilworth and Coventry City Council for students living in Coventry. In some instances, you may also wish to contact your landlord or letting agent directly.

There is more information about reporting hate crime and accessing support on MyWarwick.