Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Should I wear a face covering on campus?

Face coverings

All students, staff and visitors are now asked to wear face coverings on campus.

When you’re out and about on or off campus, you’re expected to follow the rules on face coverings set out by UK Government and local businesses.

At Warwick, we’re going further: we require face coverings to be used when working, studying or moving around our indoor spaces. This will help to keep everyone in our community safe alongside the other protection measures we have in place like social distancing, enhanced cleaning, and increased hand sanitisation points. A free, reusable face covering will be made available to each member of staff and students attending campuses by the start of the new academic year.

How to collect your free face covering and thermometer

As a student, you can pick up your free face covering and thermometer in one of the following ways:

  • If you’re in on-campus accommodation, you’ll find these placed on your bed prior to your arrival
  • If you’re not in on-campus accommodation, you can collect these items at the student information point near the Piazza from 9am-5pm, until Friday 2nd October
  • Beyond that time, you can visit student reception in Senate House (but please try to collect at quiet times to keep footfall to a minimum).

If you're a staff member, your department will be organising these for you.

Exceptional circumstances where face coverings aren’t required on campus:

In some personal circumstances:
  • If you can’t put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a disability or long term physical or mental health condition
  • If using a face covering would harm or injure you or others
In certain spaces:
  • In uncrowded, outdoor spaces
  • If you’re alone in a room or vehicle
  • If you’re in shared student accommodation with your allocated kitchen group
For certain activities:
  • If you are eating or drinking
  • If you are trying to take medication
  • If a police officer or other official asks you to remove it for identification purposes
  • If you are with someone that has trouble understanding you with your mask on
  • Where departmental risk assessment deems it is appropriate not to wear a face covering and where other control measures are in place, such as research labs and the Sports Hub.


Yes. We have carefully reviewed the arguments for and against the wearing of coverings and have decided it is the right thing to require of a community like ours with the noted exceptions. We are currently evaluating how we ensure observance of this requirement. We recognise that there’s a careful balance to be struck between expecting members of our community to play their part in following University and local public health requirements to keep people safe, and enforcing these behaviours. We will confirm any regulatory processes for students and staff shortly.

A face covering is something which safely covers the nose and mouth. A face covering can be either disposable or reusable - a cloth covering of at least two layers which can be securely fitted round the side of the face. There is no requirement to use medical respirator masks reserved for frontline workers, or personal protective equipment (PPE) used to manage risks like dust, fumes, and vapours.

Many people will already have their own face coverings, but we are intending to issue a face covering per staff and student who is attending campus. Face shields may also be ordered. More details will be available shortly via the Stay Safe Warwick web pages.

Yes. Students attending teaching sessions will be expected to wear a face covering, and those involved in teaching are recommended to wear a face covering in the form of face shield unless there are exceptional circumstances as outlined above such as where departmental risk assessments demonstrate that it is appropriate not to wear one and other safety measures are in place.

Yes, unless there are exceptional circumstances as outlined above such as where departmental risk assessments demonstrate that it is appropriate not to wear one and other safety measures are in place.

When moving through your residence, for example on stairwells and reception areas within your accommodation block, you should wear a face covering. If you are in your allocated kitchen group, within your own home, it will not be necessary.

To wear a face covering properly it needs to cover your nose and mouth while allowing you to breathe comfortably, fit comfortably but securely against the side of the face, be secured to the head with ties or ear loops and be made of a material that you find to be comfortable and breathable, such as cotton. The UK Government website gives more information on wearing one, removing and looking after face coverings.

Whilst you will not be asked to provide written evidence for not wearing a face covering, you may feel more comfortable showing something that says you do not have to wear one. This can be in the form of an exemption card or badge which can be downloaded from the UK Government website.

If you have a disability that means that you are exempt from wearing a face covering, you can find out how the University is supporting the Hidden Disabilities Sunflower Scheme here.