Covid-19 (Coronavirus) questions
I have symptoms of Covid-19, what should I do?
What is the coronavirus?
Public Health England (PHE) defines it as a type of flu-like virus common across the world.
What are the symptoms?
The common symptoms appear to be:
- Difficulty breathing
Most cases appear to be mild, with those who have been most affected were already suffering from underlying health conditions that leave them more vulnerable to respiratory conditions.
How is it spread?
The coronavirus is spread in the same way that viruses similar to it are spread - through small droplets released by coughs and sneezes, and through touching your mouth and eyes when the virus is on your hands (e.g. by touching contaminated surfaces).
What can I do to protect myself?
NHS guidance is:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
When should I stay at home?
We can all help control the virus if we all stay alert. This means you must:
- stay at home as much as possible
- work from home if you can
- limit contact with other people
- keep your distance if you go out (2 metres apart where possible)
- wash your hands regularly
Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms.