Professor J. E. Smyth
J. E. Smyth is a film critic and historian.
B.A. Wellesley College, 1999
M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D. Yale University, 2000-2005
for press and other media enquiries, see https://nobodysgirlfriday.com/get-in-touch/
- The Formation of American Culture, 1876-1929 (HI282)
- The Formation of American Culture, 1929-2000 (HI2A8)
- The American West (HI3K8)
- The Historical Film (HI33Y)
- PhD supervision in film and media
- Race, Gender, and Hollywood (HI955) (not running this year)
- History and Film (HI978) (not running this year)
- Maisie: The Rise and Fall of Golden Age Hollywood's Most Powerful Woman (forthcoming).
- I Lost My Girlish Laughter, by Jane Allen, ed. and with introduction (New York: Penguin/Random House, 2019).
- Nobody's Girl Friday: The Women Who Ran Hollywood (New York: Oxford University Press, 2018). Theatre Library Association Richard Wall Special Jury Prize; Association of American Publishers PROSE Award for Media and Cultural Studies finalist.
- From Here to Eternity (London: British Film Institute/Palgrave Macmillan, 2015).
- Fred Zinnemann and the Cinema of Resistance (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2014). Theatre Library Association Richard Wall Memorial Award finalist.
- Hollywood and the American Historical Film, ed. (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012).
- Edna Ferber's Hollywood: American Fictions of Gender, Race, and History, preface by Thomas Schatz (Austin: University of Texas Press, 2009). Association of American Publishers PROSE Award for Media and Cultural Studies.
- Reconstructing American Historical Cinema From 'Cimarron' to 'Citizen Kane' (Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2006; 2009). International Association of Media Historians' Prize in Media and History; Theatre Library Association Richard Wall Memorial Award finalist.
"'What in heaven’s name brought you to England?'
'My health. I came to England for the waters.'
'Waters-- what waters? We're in the middle of the Midlands.'
'I was misinformed.'"
The Avenging Goddess of ScreenwritersLink opens in a new window, Los Angles Review of Books
2021 Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences film scholarLink opens in a new window
Madam President: Writers Guild Foundation Event March 16
The Organization Woman (British Academy)
Fred Zinnemann and the Cinema of Resistance, Getty Center, April 2012.