The powerpoint from the session is available here.
- What were the similarities and differences between the kinds of slave regimes established across the Americas? How did they vary across place and time?
- Is there one definition of “slavery” or are there many?
- What role did slavery play in the national histories of Brazil and Cuba in the nineteenth century and before?
- Was the nineteenth century an era of abolition, or of an intensification of slavery and the trade?
- Schmidt-Nowara, Christopher. Slavery, Freedom, and Abolition in Latin America and the Atlantic World. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2011 (e-book @ Library)
- Introduction: pp 1-8.
- Chapter Four: “The Resurgence and Destruction of Slavery in Cuba, Puerto Rico, and Brazil,” pp. 120-155.
Bergad, Laird W. The Comparative Histories of Slavery in Brazil, Cuba, and the United States. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007 Chapter 1: “From colonization to abolition: patterns of historical development in Cuba, Brazil and the United States,” pp. 1-32 (on course library scans page)