2012-2013 Powerpoint presentations
Autumn term 2013
- Lecture 1 - Rome, the centre of the world [Lecture 2013]
- Study skills 1 - Taking notes: Reading and Note-taking (A1): the functions of note-making and reading in academic study;
increasing reading speed; organising and storing notes for future use; the use and development of a range of reading and note-making methods for different purposes and to suit different learning styles. Efficient Note-Taking Recipe Card.
- Lecture 2 - Trade and Economy
- Study skills 2 - Managing deadlines: Organising Yourself and Your Time (P7): how to prioritise activities; what “steals” your time and what you can do to manage time more effectively; how to organise your work and workspace; how to plan work to meet deadlines.
- Lecture 3 - Family and Familia
- Study skills 3 - Using footnotes; Academic Writing for Arts and Social Science Students (A3): exploring the required range of academic writing; gaining a greater insight into how to write in an appropriate style for academic purposes; reviewing and improving English grammar; understanding the issues associated with plagiarism and the academic norms regarding referencing and citation. Warwick Academic Writing Programme (e-resources and workshops). Dept of Classics & AH style guide online.
- Lecture 4 - Slaves, freed, citizens
- Study skills 4 - Writing essays: structure. Amazing Essay Writing Recipe Card. Understanding the essay title: more information on understanding essay question; stages of writing; planning and outlining; structure; text revision.
- Lecture 5 - Patronage
- Study skills 5 - Producing a bibliography
- Lecture 6 - Bread and Circuses [Bread & Circus Lecture 2013]
- Study skills 6 - Finding e-resources
- Study skills 7 - Evaluating internet resources
- Lecture 7 - Death and Burial [Death Lecture 2013]
- Lecture 8 - Roman Army [Army Lecture 2013]
- Study skills 8 - Effective participation in seminars - Workshop on effective seminar participation; Getting yourself heard Recipe Card; Making great presentations Recipe Card
- Lecture 9 - Literacy
- Study skills 9 - Self-evaluation: Essay checklist
Spring term 2013
Lecture 1 - Historiography
Lecture 7 - Roman Coinage
Summer term 2013
- Lecture 1 - Lecture 9 - Imperialism