The remaining two exams held during the course will be as follows:
- Monday 11th February 2019 – 13:00pm – 14:00pm – Room H0.60
- Thursday 25th April 2019 13:00pm – 14:00pm – Room H0.58
We will not know the date of the final exam until the start of the summer term.
Week 1: Exam 2,7A,B; Week 2: 7C,D,E; Week 3: F/G,H. Week 4 8A; 8B, C; Week 5: 9A/B 9C/D
Week 6: Exam 3. Weeks 7-10: target: reach end of 11.
Monday 21st January
Quiz. 7G. Grammar handouts to cover up to Exam 3. For Wednesday: go through 7G. Learn aorist stems; do exercises 7G-H: 1; start learning vocabulary 7D-F.
Wednesday 23rd January
Friday 25th January
Consolidation session: focus on revision exercises on pages 157-159.
Get up to date with vocabulary (next week is a large amount, so you need a firm basis for the moment)
Monday 14th January
Return scripts. Quiz (6C/D). Passage 7C. For Wednesday: start 7A-C vocabulary. Any exercises om p.140/1 as appropriate.
Wednesday 16th January
Check on vocabulary 7A-C including infirmation about verbs; return prose comp and quiz. φημί, οἶδα. Go through 7D
For Friday: reread 7D; continue with vocab; learn φημί, οἶδα. Prepare E/F (nb imperfect of οἶδα)
Friday 18th January
Go through 7E/F. Aorist participles and aspect. For Monday: go through 7E/F and consolidate, focus on the new vocabulary. Quiz on Monday 7A-C (nb). Exercises 7D-F 1,2 (again). p.149 D English into Greek (hand in).
Week 1, Term 2
Monday: no class but exam, as above.
Wednesday 9th January
7A: verbs taking an infinitive.
For Friday: start learning remaining vocab from 6C and D (formal quiz on Monday);
re-read through 7A
read about infinitives (p.134/5) and do exercise 7A-C: 1
Friday 11th January
For Monday: (continue 6C/D vocab for quiz); Exercises 7A-C:2, 3 and 4
Read p.365-7 (Introduction to writing in Greek) then try p.132 An old man ... clever plan.
Remaining time: read through C (allow 30 minutes)
Monday 3rd December
Write out future of to be and I will go.
Vocabulary of 5A-D for Wednesday. Look again at 6A and finish off. Do all Section 5A-B exercises and check your answers.
Wednesday 5th December
6B. Check on formation of first aorist, with focus on the consonants at the end of the stem. Worksheet (and then do similar exercises in 6A-B in forming the other three tenses from the present tense). Guided read through of 6B.
Thursday and Friday will focus on the second aorist. There will be a number of irregular stems which will be extensively tested in the exam.
Monday 26th November
- de-augmentation to look-up verbs
- Imperfect of εἰμί and a little more on contracted verbs
- predicative adjective position
- Passage 5B
- learn Imperfect of εἰμί and φιλῶ
- revision exercises for 5A-B
- prepare 5D as far as line 37 (nb, not 5C)
Friday 30th November
5C (διδάσκαλος) 5D (μαθηται), and irregular futures. Weekly quiz.
Learn futures for Monday including ἔσομαι, εἶμι. 100%, please, because we have the aorist tense next week, with its own irregulars. Written exercises 5C-D 1-7. and learn vocabulary Keep p 112-133 for revision. Only look ahead and prepare 6A if you have memorised the new material and done all the exercises.
Monday 19th November
Read 4C. Look at formation of all present participles, and look at idiomatic participles.
For Wednesday, get on top of vocabulary for 4C-D and prepare 4D. Do as many written exercises as you have time for.
Wednesday 21st November
- Vocab quiz: 4 A-B
- more on participles (p.85 exercises orally)
- Read 4D.
- written exercises, p.85, 88. Check these againts my model answers.
- learn 4C-D vocabulary
- prepare passage 5A, please. We will start with this, in detail.
Friday 23rd November
Introduction to the imperfect tense, with a focus on the temporal augment, and standard forms (i.e. not contacted). Sheet of initial exercises. Go through 5A, give out vocabulary sheet for section 5 (spares outside my office)
- Check 5A
- start learning vocabulary 5A-B (for Wednesday quiz),
- learn imperfect of παύω παύομαι
- prepare 5B.
- Do written exercises. Recommended:
Ex 1, 2, 3,4, 5, 6, 7 and possibly 8 (although Exercise 8 has some contracted verbs: have a go using the basic rules of contraction you already know.
Monday 12th November
3D (and E). Adjective μέγας and πολύς.
- Exercises for this chapter
- prepare 4A
Wednesday 14th November
Going over Section D revision exercise of Section 3. Read 4A; overview of more third declension nouns. Present participle as causal (since) or relative.
- reread 4A.
- Learn associated vocabulary, sorted by type or with Latin (see sheet for 4A-B)
- prepare 4B
Friday 16th November
Read 4B. Recapitulation of nouns endings and explaining the present participle and its formation. For Monday: prepare 4C; do appropriate number of exercises (= all relevant ones!) but focusing on the participles. All answers on-line, so please check your work.
Monday 5th November
Wednesday 7th November
Read story 3B. Return exams and comments. pronouns I. we , you. For Friday, learn pronouns and prepare 3C.
Friday 9th November
- get started on vocabulary for this section
- prepare 3D (all passages now to be prepared in advance: focus is on getting to the end approximately rather than doing little more accurately: you do not have to write a translation out and you should not work from a translation in class)
- learn the pronouns we met today
- do exercises on p. 62 and check them with the solutions on Answers page.
Monday 29th October
Verb quiz; genitive sandwich (and preposition Smörgåsbord) Story 2C (including 2 1/2 lines of original Greek!). Give in 1H-J paired sentences.
- get on top of new vocabulary 2A-C (and preferably 2A-D)
- either: write out a fair translation of 2C OR prepare 2D.
Wednesday 31st October
3rd declension nouns. Exam practice questions on verb and noun/adjective manipulation
Write down a good translation of 2D.
Friday 2nd November
More exam checking; go through 3A. Prepare 3B, please.
Monday 22nd October
Give in sentences. Check εἰμί and οἶδα. Read Stories I and J. sentence structure with verb 'to be'.
Read carefully through I and J and learn all vocabulary (see my summary list). We will check vocabulary for all of Section 1 and verb forms. (We start Section 2 on Wednesday).
Wednesday 24th October
Major vocabulary check. Introduction to middle forms. Read 2A.
For Friday: there are no exercises you can do! But learn παύομαι (and φιλοῦμαι) from the EXAM SUMMARY 1. RG tables are not good. Go over the passage 2A carefully and start to learn relevant vocabulary. Complete Section 2 list has been circulated by email (no meanings- that's your ἐργον (task, work, deed).
Friday 26th October
All the five forms of 1st declension nouns, and the stories behind them. Revise new words from 2A and go through 2B. For Monday:
go through 2B carefully.
- be able to write out all first declension nouns
- for both 2A and 2B identify the words which are to be learnt for this section, as set out on the list I circulated..
- do revision exercises for 1h-J on pages 41-2. D should be in a form that you can hand in to me. When you have done the rest, check your answers here.
Monday 15th October
Quiz: 1C-D. Read passage 1F.
Learn vocabularies for 1E-F. Practice reading Greek; learn capitals. (From now on, regular quizzes will be on Wednesdays)
Wednesday 17th October
Read 1G. How the nouns (λόγος, δῶρον) relate to def. art. and καλός. Plural neuters taking singular verb.
For Friday: exercises (big book) pages 26 and 27 and 28.
Friday 19th October
Remember: quiz (vocabulary + forms) next Wednesday!
Story 1H. Learn εἰμί and οἶδα. Do the Revision exercises for 1A-G to check you are on course, and check your answers. Do the English to Greek translation on a sheet of paper you can give in to me, please.
Monday 8th October
Check on the definite article and looking at present tense (indicative and imperative of παύω - see grammar booklet rather than text book). Passage 1C.
- go through 1C carefully, several times, picking up the new vocabulary
- be fluent in reading through, with meaning, A, B and C.
- Prepare for test on Thursday: vocab 1A-B and def article plus καλός -ή -όν
Thursday 11th October
Lesson: vocabulary/endings test (as above); Passage 1D
Friday 12th October
Revision of vocabulary and βαίνω; introduction to contracted verbs, focus on φιλέω; read 1E
- learn φιλέω, and work through alpha- and omicron-contracted verbs.
- do exercises on pages 21 and 22 of the grammar book, check answers on separate webpage)
- revise for test of vocabulary and forms of sections 1C-D (and tricky vocab from 1A-B)
Wednesday 3rd October
Introduction to course. Read section 1A together. For Friday: re-read many times, listening to the recorded version (on Audio-Visual page).Check vocabulary which needs to be known by reference to the handout.
Friday 5th October
Passage 2A together. For Monday:
- Memorise ὁ ἡ τό
- re-read 1B many times;
- check you know the vocabulary for 1A-B, as on the handout, and
- complete the exercises on page 11 and 12/13.