Important: please note that I have a meeting in my usual Office Hour this Thursday. I will be available from 1-2 instead (just before RCS) if you want any guidance for the exams.
The four exams held during the course will be as follows:
Monday 5th November 2018 – 10am – 11am, Room OC0.02
- Monday 7th January 2019 – 10am – 11am, Room LIB2
- Monday 11th February 2019 – 10am – 11am, Room LIB2
- Thursday 25th April 2019 - 9-10 am LIB2 (please note the earlier start time)
Monday 19th November
Revision exercises: introduction to third declension nouns (see handout - outside my room). Read through lines 1-85 of Pastor et oves, Capitulum IX. For Wednesday: (change to regime)
- Go through this carefully, checking you understand all the new vocabulary (see sheet)
- Recognise as much of the vocabulary as possible
- Check you understand the concept of the third declension nouns.
- Learn the standard 3rd declension endings
- Copies of handouts available outside my office.
Wednesday 21st November
- Questions from Monday
- Quiz on vocabulary,
- exercises on 3rd declension endings including adjectival agreement,
- dum (two meanings)
- duc and ēst / edunt
- read-through lines 39-86
- exercises and pensa.
- Firm up vocabulary for this chapter.
Monday 12th November
Go through Pensa of 7. Recapitulation of synonyms and antonyms, dative and question words. Read lectio prima. For Wednesday:
- go over Pensa of Capitula VII again (these were not yet fluent enough)
- read lectio prima
- do exercises for lectio prima (copies outside my office)
- check these to model answers on-line (I have now put up a guide to this chapter for you to consult)
email me with any questions, please.
PLEASE ARRANGE TO SEE ME IF YOU NEED TO DISCUSS YOUR EXAM RESULT.
Wednesday 14th November
Lectio secunda; pronouns is/ea/id and hic/haec/hoc
- go carefully through lectio secunda, listening, reading
- check materials available on class page
- learn the pronouns hic haec hoc and is ea id so you can write them out fluently
- do exercises for part 2
Friday 16th November
lectio tertia; writing out hic haec hoc
For Monday: do the rest of the exercises (may be try the online version with pull-down boxes). Check your anwers (Familia Romana page). . Make sure you are happy with all the new vocabulary. Continue writing out hic haec hoc. Check you are happy with pronouns! Have a go at the Pensa!
Monday 5th November
Wednesday 7th November
Capitulum VII, lectiones I et II.
For Friday: read through passage several times, getting to know the vocabulary, noting down synonima and contraria: complete exercises 1-6 on handout, and check your answers to my model answers.
Friday 9th November
Lectio tertia. Study tips (reminder). Return of Exam 1. For Monday: read at least three times through lectio tertia (III) (and reread parts 1 and 2).Then do remainder of exercises given out on Wednesday, plus the new sheet plus Pensa. Check your answers. email me if there are things you do not understand.
Monday 29th October
Revise Capitulum quīntum: indicatives and imperatives; accusative plurals and prepositions followed by a noun in the ablative case. Then start Capitulum sextum (VI), part 1 (versūs 1-45). Prepositions with the accusative case.
For Wednesday: read carefully several times through lines complete sheet of exercises for lectio prima (copies outside my office) and check answers (coming soon: see familia Romana page, as always). Note: the sheet includes questions for the second half - lectio secunda. Any questions: via email, Office Hour or at start of the Wednesday lesson.
Wednesday 31st October
Preposition practice. Towns do not need prepositions ad or ab; and the locative case instead of in. Introduction to the passive voice: chapter 6. Read lectio secunda.
For Friday: go carefully through lectio secunda, and do exercises as given out on Monday. Check online. Make sure your vocabulary is good!
Friday 2nd November
Revision for Monday's exam: nouns, verbs and prepositions, and Pensa A, B and C.
Monday 22nd October
Check vocabulary on Ch. 3. Finish Chapter 4 (vocative, imperative). Chapter 4 song.
For Wednesday: do the exercises on the sheets given out in class and check your answers (see familia Romana page). Remember you can get guidance from the enchiridion (booklet) I gave out at the start of term and from the published guide. Check the advice offered you by the first years from 2017/18 to see what is helpful to you.
Wednesday 24th October
Chapter 4 song and pensa. Part 1 of Chapter 5.
For Friday: exercitia :Exercitium 1-5; Esercizio 1-4. Check the answers I sent around; let me know if you are having problems.
Friday 26th October
Finish Capitulum 25. (plurals and ablatives)
- For Monday: read through all of Capituum V several times so that you know ALL the vocabulary.
- Do exercises tertium to septimum on the sheet (spares outside H2.39)
- Check answers here.
- D Pensa A and B.
Monday 15th October
Certamen II; Start Capitulum III, Scaena prima et secunda.
Do the exercitia set and check you anwers (both on the familia Romana page)
Wednesday 17th October.
If you are having problems with the concept of the accusative try this short animation here.
Capitulum III: the accusative case - singular, and the letter 'm'. Thinking about learning styles.
- Read through part 3 very carefully, looking at your notes on structure, and qui/quae (nominative) and quem/quam (accusative) joining two simple sentences (as well as asking questions).
- Do Exercitium 6 and 7, and Exercizio 15 on handout (on next page)
- Check your answers
- Do at least the first two Pensa
- Check your answers.
- Be satisfied you have picked up the new vocabulary from Chapter 3.
Friday 19th October
Checking on concept of accusative in practical terms. Lection prima, Capitulum Quartum.
For Monday: exercises, as on sheet (pdf on familia Romana page) side 1, Exercitia 1-4. Esercizio 1, 2, 3 and 4. (You may find it helpful to read the rest of p.27, as far as line 43.
Check answers (see familia Romana page)
Monday 8th October
Today: capitulum primum, pars tertia (III). We finish Capitulum primum and sing our first poem (carmen).
- Read, several times pars tertia (III), indeed the whole of the chapter.
- Do seperate sheet of exercises (the 'Italian job')
- Do Pēnsa A et B, and check your answers. Do them orally, perhaps. several times
- Do Pēnsa C: I will ask all of you to have a go without notes on Thursday.
- Test of all vocabulary on Thursday! Good luck.
Thursday 11th October
Certāmen (quiz) on Capitulum 1. Start Capitulum 2, Lectio 1 and Lectio 2 (lines 1-61).
Most of these you can probably do orally, in which case, do so, and try to do several times.
Remember to read my enchiridion (guide) if you want more explicit help on the genitive case.
Friday 12th October
Carmen: Forum Romanorum; explanation of genitivus Anglice; reading to end of Capitulum secundum
- finish exercises from sheet given out yesterday, 1-9, and check answers on-line (Familia Romana webpage).
- Learn vocabulary for this chapter
- Do Pensum A and Pensum B and check answers
- (We will do do Pensum C together in class on Monday just beofre the certamen on capitulum II)
Wednesday 3rd October
capitulum primum, pars prima.
listen to passage and read through it for understanding (see Famila Romana page)
complete exercises on handout
make sure at the end you know the meaning of all the words (lines 1-21
Friday 5th October
capitulum primum, pars secunda (II): more plurals (insular, fluvii, oppida)
- make sure you know the vocabulary to date
- complete the exercises on the handout and check answers (see familia Romana page)