*Three Rescheduled Classes: Friday 4th May 10-12 H.0.58 + Thursday 10th 9-10 H0.02 + Friday 11th 10-12 H 0.43
*Friday 11th 10-12 [NB class is from 10-12 in H 0.43] Past Paper 2017+ Exercises on p.157.
* Thursday 10th 9-10 H0.02 Past Paper 2016
Wednesday 9th Do the resutl clauses on p.150 with exercises; Read pp. 152-156 with the exercises
Tuesday 8th Please prepare the texts and exercises on pp.148-149 + read the section on result clauses.
*Friday 4th [NB class is from 10-12 in H 0.58] finish chapter 18 (with exercises 10,11 and 12 on pp.140-141) and start chapter 19 (2 more uses of the subjunctives) with exercises 1 and 2 on pp.147-148 and the text on p.148 (Hannibal Crosses the Rhone). Also bring to class the practice sentences on passive and participles.
Wednesday 2nd Finish Chapter 18, exercises 10-11-12
Tuesday 1st Chapter18: Exercises 8 + the Caudine Forks on pp.138-139 and exercise 9
Friday 27th Exercises 7 on p.136, 8 on p.138
Wednesday 25th [Revision Class II on Test 4] Do exercises 1-6 on p.135. Introduction to Uses of the subjunctives 1 and 2.
Tuesday 24th Revision Class I on passive verbs, deponents, participles, and ablative absolutes. Please attempt the revision sheet here. Introduction to the subjunctive: Please read pp.132-34 and 145 and study the subjunctive forms. You can find a table of sequence of tenses here.
TERM 2 (Dr Elena Giusti)
Term 2 Times: Tuesday 9-10 (H4.45), Wednesday 9-10 (R341), Fridays 10-11 OC 1.07.
** Term Break, Homework: Please revise extenstively all chapters from 1 to 17 included during the spring break. Pay particular attention to chapters 16 and 17, attempt to do all the exercises and check the answers here uploaded: Chapter 16 p.117; Chapter 17 p.126; Chapter 17 p.129. Also attempt, if you wish, the translation of the two passages scanned here. Also attempt the April Mock Exam paper.
** Strike Action Please note that classes on these days may be affected by strike action. In case of cancellation, a 24 hours notice will be given.
- **Friday 16th March: Revision
- **Wednesday 14th March: Revision [ablative absolute]
- **Tuesday 13th March: Revision of participles, with exercise on p.129 + vocab test on chapter 17
- Friday 9th March: Ablative Absolute + Text on p.129 [if strike action takes places, this class will be about participles and ablative absolute]
- **Wednesday 7th March: Participles of Deponent verbs: Exercises 4-5 on p.125 and Pompeii's text, p.126
- **Tuesday 6th March: Chapter 17 (Participles) Exercises 1,2 and 3 on pp. 121-124
- Friday 2nd March: Vocabulary test on chapter 16 and exercises 22 on p.117
- **Wednesday 28th February: Text on p.117 and exercise 21
- **Tuesday 27th February: Chapter 16 (Deponent and Semi-deponent Verbs) Exercises 16-20 on pp.114-16
- **Friday 23rd February: Exercises 10-15 on p. 113
- Wednesday 21st February: Chapter 16 (The Passive Voice) Exercises 3-9 on p.110
- Tuesday 20th February: Vocabulary test on Chapter 15 + Exercise 8 on p.106
- Friday 16th February: Direct Questions: Exercise 7 on p.105 and text on p.106
- Wednesday 14th February: Revision on Test + Exercises 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on pp.102-104
- Tuesday 13th February: There is No Class
- Monday 12th February: TEST
Monday at 10am: Class Test. Note that there is no class on Tuesday 13th.
Revision Class: Mock Paper + Vocabulary test on chapter 14
Class: Future Perfect and Pluperfect (chapter 15)
Homework: Exercises 4 and 5 on p.99
Homework: Translate Horatius Defends the Bridge on p.98 and exercise 4 on p.99
Vocab test on chapter 13 + pronouns and relative clauses with exercises 1,2 and 3
Class: Pronouns and Relative Clauses (Chapter 14)
Class: Numbers and Revision of Chapter 13
Homework: study the numbers on pp.87-88 and do the translation and exercises on p.89
Class: Time, Place and Numbers (chapter 13)
Homework: study book pp.84-88 and do the exercises on pp.85 and 86 (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5).
Class: Finish Pronouns and start chapter 13 (4th adn 5th declensions)
Homework: exercises on p.82 + start studyign the 4th and 5th declensions on pp. 84-85
Class: Chapter 12 Revision and vocab test
Homework: finish fabula tristis and do the exercises on p.82. + Vocab Test on Chapter 12
Homework: Exercises 5 and 6 on p.80 + translate fabula tristis
Class: Chapter 12 exercises
Homeworl: Exercises on the pronouns, pp.80-81 (at least up to 5 included)
Class: Exam Feeback Session + Chapter 12 (Pronouns) including exercises on p.80
Homework: Study the pronouns in Chapter 12, pp.77-80
Class: Chapter 11 Revision (including Chapter 11 Vocab Test) + Chapter 12 (pronouns)
Homework: Exercises on p.75 + study the pronouns in Chapter 12, pp.77-80
Class: Chapter 11 Revision
Homework: Exercises on p.74 and Cloeliae virtus on p.75
TERM 1 (Dr Bobby Xinyue)
Class: Mixed conjugation; sum and esse; nouns; first declension noun - puella
1- Exercises 4, 7, 8 on p.6
2- Learn vocabulary of Chapter 1 (p.7)
3- Exercises 1, 2, 3 on p.9 [Answers]
Class: Translating Latin sentences (pp.10-12)
1- Exercises 4, 5, 6 on p.11 [Answers]
2- Prepare (i.e. roughly translate) the passage on p.13
Class: Second declension nouns (pp.16-17)
1- Learn vocab of Chapter 2 (Test next Monday)
2- Exercise 7 on p.12 *FOR SUBMISSION*
3- Exercises 1-6 on p.17. [Answers]
Class: Prepositions (p.18)
1- Learn second declension nouns
2- Learn prepositions and the cases they govern
3- Exercise 11 (p.19) [Answers] & Prepare 'Siege of Troy' (p.20)
Class: Introduction to Adjectives (p.23)
1- Learn the vocab of Chapter 3
2- Revision Exercises 1-4 (p.20)
Class: 1st and 2nd Declension Adjectives, bonus -a -um
1) Learn the vocab of Chapter 3 (Test on Monday)
2) Exercises 5-6 on p.25
3) Prepare 'Fall of Troy'
Class: Prose composition skills (with Exercises 5, p.25); translation of 'Fall of Troy'.
1) Learn the vocab of Chapter 4
2) Exercise 7 (p.27)
Class: Third declension nouns (Chapter 5, p.30-1)
1) Learn third declension nouns
2) Exercises 1-5 (p.31)
Class: Noun and adjective agreement II (p.32)
1) Exercise 8, p.32
2) Prepare 'Aeneas Leaves Troy for Italy', p.33
3) Exercise 9 p.34 *FOR SUBMISSION*
Class: Noun and adjective revision & Translation techniques
Homework: Start revising for the exam (next Monday)
Class: Chapter 6: i-stem third declension nouns & uses of the ablative (pp.36-7)
1) Exercises 1-4, p.37
2) Revise for Monday's exam.
Class: 'Dido and Aeneas Meet', p.38
Homework: Revise for the exam -- Monday, 6th November, 1pm, Lib2
Class: Finished Chapter 6
Homework: Exercise 5 (p.39)
Class: Chapter 7 - Third Declension Adjectives, pp. 42-3
1) Learn Chapter 6 Vocab -- test on Monday
2) Exercises 1-4 (p.43) [Answers]
3) Prepare 'Romulus and Remus' (p.44)
Class: Chapter 7, 'Romulus and Remus'
Homework: Exercises 5 and 6 (p 43 and p.47 respectively)
Class: Chapter 8, Part 1: Imperfect Tense, pp.49-50
Homework: Exercises 1-7 (pp.50-1)
Class: Chapter 8, Part II: Future Tense, pp.51-2
1) Vocab of Chapter 7 (p.46):
2) Exercises 8-15 (pp. 52-4)
3) Prepare 'The Translation of Romulus' (p.54)
Class: Chapter 9, Principle Parts and Perfect Tense, pp.57-8
1) Vocab of Chapter 7 (p.46): Test on Wednesday
2) Exercise 16 (p.54): FOR SUBMISSION
Class: Chapter 9 (continued), Principle Parts and Perfect Tense
Homework: Exercises 1-6 on p.59-60
1) Prose Composition: Exercise 7 on p.60
2) Translation: Sextus Tarquinius captures Gabii by treachery, p.60
1) Learn the 3rd principle parts of all verbs on p.63
2) Finish the Sextus Tarquinius passage.
3) Prepare first two paragraphs of 'Junius Brutus and the orcle at Delphi' (p.61)
Class: Chapter 10, Irregular verbs eo and possum, pp. 65-6
1) Learn the 3rd principle parts of all verbs on p.63. Test on Wednesday.
2) Exercises 1-4 on p.67. [Answers]
Class: Chapter 10 (continued), Irregular verbs volo, nolo, malo, and fero. Pages 57-9
1) Exercises 5-9 on pp. 68-9 [Answers]
2) Prepare 'Cincinnatus, the Ideal Dictator', on pp.69-70
Class: Chapter 10 revision; Cincinnatus passage.
1) Vocab of Chapter 8 (p.56) *TEST on Monday*
2) Exercise 10 on p.70. *FOR SUBMISSION*
3) Continue to learn all principal parts of all verbs on p.63.
Class: Finish Cincinnatus passage
1) Learn Vocab of Chapter 9 (p.62). *TEST on WEDNESDAY*
2) Continue to learn all principal parts of all verbs on p.63.
Class: Chapter 11, Imperatives
Homework: revise 3rd declension nouns and adjectives
Class: Imperatives revision and practice; exam revision
1) Exercise 3 on p.74
2) Prepare the passage 'Cloeliae virtus'.
2) Finish the rest of the mock exam.