Assessed Essay 2Deadline: 12 noon, Friday 9 March 2018 (Week 9)
- Which episode of provincial unrest represented the most serious threat to Roman rule?
- To what extent does coinage illustrate the political concerns of individual emperors?
- Do literature and visual culture combine to present a unified picture of the ‘Second Sophistic’?
- How did Athens become re-established as an important centre for the Greek East by AD 138?
- What contribution is made by inscriptions to our understanding of life in the provinces?
Essay titles for Latinists ONLY [all students studying the module as a Latin-text option MUST choose one of the following titles:
- How does Tacitus use the island of Britain and its inhabitants to shape his account of the life of Agricola?
- How do you explain Juvenal’s characterization of Umbricius?
- Why did the Senate publish the Senatus consultum de Cn. Pisone Patre?
- Do Statius’ poems Silvae 4.1-3 demonstrate the triumph of style over substance?
Assessed Essay 1
Deadline: 12 noon, Thursday 7th December 2017 (Week 10)
- Is it accurate to call any of these emperors a tyrant?
- By what means was dynastic power consolidated from one emperor to the next?
- How biographical in approach is Tacitus’ Annales?
- Is Pliny’s Panegyricus of any historical value?
- How important was foreign military conquest to the authority of individual emperors in Rome?
- How did the role played by imperial women in political life change over time?
- Was Tacitus a misogynist?