You will need to register for your modules online via EMR (Electronic Module Registration). See here for instructions.
EMR is open until the end of the third week of October and you must register within that timeframe. Please note that if you do not register by the specified deadline the English Department will complete your EMR on your behalf and there will be no opportunity to change the registration at a later date.
Please do not try to register for modules on EMR before you have received and made any necessary changes to your timetable (which you can view on Tabula) - you will need to select the modules you have chosen and the correct assessment pattern. The University’s system assigns letters to denote assessment methods as follows (these are general codes; there are specific codes per module):
- A = 100% Assessed Essays
- B = 100% Examined
- C = 50% Examined 50% Assessed Essays
- D = any combination of exam and essay not listed above
It is very important that you check that your modules and the corresponding assessment patterns are correct. Failure to do so could mean that you may not be registered correctly for examinations. You must see your personal tutor by the end of week 3 term 1 - if you need advice about your module choices, you can discuss this at your meeting.
The assessment patterns for first year modules are shown below:
- EN101 Epic into Novel - B: 100% Examined
- EN107 British Theatre since 1939 - A: 100% Assessed Essays
- EN121 Medieval to Renaissance English Literature - B: 100% Examined
- EN122 Modes of Reading - A: 100% Assessed Essays
- EN123 Modern World Literatures (Optional Core) - A1: 100% Assessed Essays and Portfolio*
- EN124 Modes of Writing: An Introduction - A: 100% Assessed Essays
- TH114 Introduction to Theatre and Performance Studies/TH115 From Text to Performance - please contact the Theatre Studies Department.
- EN126 History & Textuality - C - 50% Examined 50% Assessed Essays
- HI153 Making of the Modern World - D - Essays, exam and group project
- HI127 The Medieval World - A: 100% Assessed Essays
- HI174 The Enlightenment - A: 100% Assessed Essays
- AM101 Latin America, Themes and Problems - A: 100% Assessed Essays
- AM102 North America, Themes and Problems - A: 100% Assessed Essays
*If you wish to register for the language module in lieu of EN123, please contact the Language Centre for information about spaces and eligibility. In addition, please complete an opt out form and return it to the English Office.