Willa Cather My Antonia (1918)
Please come prepared to give a five-ten minute introduction to My Antonia. You might want to find out about & think about the following topics:
- Cather's intervention in contemporary debates on immigration
- Regionalism: the mid-west
- Cather's treatment of The Westering Myth
- Revision of classical legacies of pastoral and epic
- Treatment of race
- Frame narrative and implications of Jim as narrator
- Depiction of the "hired girls"
- How does Cather's text comment on American identity and "The American Dream"
Please read my online lecture on the text.
You will find an annotated bilbiography here.