You must submit ONE 2,500-word essay for this module, in EITHER the Autumn term OR in the Summer term. You may only submit ONE essay for the module.
You will be given an additional set of titles in the Spring term.
Summer term essay:
A 2,500-word essay, to be submitted electronically no later than 16:00, Wednesday 29th April 2015 (Summer Term: Week 2).
EXTENSIONS MAY BE GRANTED BY THE CHAIR ONLY AND MUST BE AGREED IN ADVANCE OF THE SUBMISSION DATE.
Choose one of the following titles:
- Examine the relationship between social responsibility and formal innovation in one of the following avant-garde movements: Dada, Constructivism, Abstract Expressionism, Minimalism.
- Examine the relationship between the moving image and EITHER space OR time in the work of ONE of the following artists: Andy Warhol, David Lamelas, James Benning, Richard Serra.
- Analyse and discuss the use of found footage or appropriated content in ONE of the works covered during the Autumn term.
- Meshes of the Afternoon is an investigation into subjectivity and memory. Discuss.
- Underground film “dissents radically in form, or in technique, or in content, or perhaps in all three”. (Sheldon Renan). Discuss.
- Discuss the concept of ‘expanded cinema’ in relation to one artist or group.
- Identify and analyse the ways in which one artist, or group, used an electronic medium as a tool for critique.
- Examine the relationship between video and performance.
- Can a popular musical culture, or subculture, be ‘avant-garde’?
- Examine the phenomenon of 'Artists' cinema'.
- “The moving image always transforms the space it occupies”. (Chrissie Iles). Examine the relationship between moving images and EITHER the gallery space OR urban space.