You must submit ONE 2,500-word essay for this module, in EITHER the Autumn term OR in the Summer term. You may only submit ONE essay for the module.
You will be given an additional set of titles in the Spring term, and you may submit an essay on the Autumn term work for the Spring term deadline.
Autumn Term Essay (2500 words) due by 16:00, Mon 12th Dec 2016. LINK FOR eSUBMISSION
Essay Titles Autumn 2016
A 2,500-word essay. Autumn submission: before 16:00, Mon 12th Dec 2016
EXTENSIONS MAY BE GRANTED BY THE CHAIR ONLY AND MUST BE AGREED IN ADVANCE OF THE SUBMISSION DATE.
Choose one of the following titles:
- How is René Clair’s Entr’acte a Dada film?
- How is René Clair’s Entr’acte a film about modern life?
- Examine the relationship between Man With a Movie Camera and ONE of the following themes: the role of the artist, the city, technology, constructivism.
- Examine the way in which EITHER Joseph Cornell OR Bruce Connor used appropriation as an artistic strategy. Your answer should make detailed reference to ONE work covered in the Autumn term of the module.
- Examine the use of appropriation as an artistic strategy in the work of ONE of the following: Joseph Cornell, Bruce Connor, Cory Arcangel, Cassetteboy, Martin Arnold, Richard Prince, Radical Software Group.
- Explore the relationship between sound and place in the work of ONE of the following: Susan Phillipz, Janet Cardiff, Alvin Lucier, John Cage.
- What is noise? Your answer should make detailed reference to AT LEAST ONE work covered in the Autumn term of the module.
- ‘Films marked with amateurism, incompetence and poverty were enjoyed as spontaneous, honest and democratic subversions of the sedated commercial cinema and the repression of legitimate culture.’ (Duncan Reekie). How is Flaming Creatures an example of subversive entertainment?
- Examine the relationship between musical style and visual style in early 1980s Hip Hop.