- This intensive third year module will help you to develop your understanding of the practice of short film production through the opportunity to work on the development of a self-devised short fiction film.
- It will provide you with intensive coaching in the preparation and development of a viable film treatment or script, and offer intensive workshop practice in the various essential skills related to the practice of filmmaking: cinematography, sound and editing.
- It will give you solid and meaningful working experience of the collaborative nature of the practice of film production. You will work in groups of 3-4 with all being given the chance to direct as well as practice other skills.
- It will also provide you with an understanding of the administrative and legalistic aspects of film production.
By the end of the module, you will have:
- gained training and experience in the various elements of short film production via a demonstrable portfolio of practical skills related to direction, cinematography, sound, lighting, editing and production management.
- produced a viable film treatment or script that will have informed the production of a 6-8 minute fiction film.
- developed practical skills in creative thinking and planning on both an individual and group basis
- developed skills in collaborative teamwork
- gained practical experience in planning and managing the relevant legalistic and health and safety elements of short film production
- developed skills in constructing a reflective piece of critical writing that will relate to the both the critical intentions of an individual film project and the nature of the learning experience that has generated the project.
- 1 x 6-8 min. short film (total 60% of overall module)
- 1 x 3,000 word written assignment or critical reflection on the film (30% of overall module)
- participation mark (10% of overall module)
Trailer for films made in 2017-2018