- The Taste of War. World War Two and the Battle for Food, Allen Lane, London, 2011.
- Curry. A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors, Oxford University Press, New York, 2006.
- Curry. A Biography, Chatto & Windus, London, 2005.
- Imperial Bodies. The Physical Experience of the British Raj, c.1800-1947, Polity Press, Cambridge, 2001.
- The Taste of War is currently being translated in to Japanese.
- Curry. A Biography (in standard Chinese), Taiwan, Wealth Press, 2008.
- Le Curry ou une histoire gastronomique de l’Inde, Les Editions Noir sur Blanc, Lausanne, 2007.
- Curry. A Biography (in simplified Chinese), Shanghai Sanhui Culture and Press Ltd., 2006.
- Curry (in Japanese), Kawade Shobo Shinsha Publishers, 2006.
- ‘Japan and the Battle for Rice’, Asia Literary Review, Autumn 2011
- ‘Classic. Special Sauce. Chicken Tikka masala’s serendipitous evolution’, Saveur Magazine (October 2009).
- ‘Porridge and Peas: C. Stanton Hicks and Australian army rations’, Endeavour 33 3 (September 2009)
- ‘How the Curry Trail led to Britain’, Daily Express, 29 July 05.
- ‘Menu of discovery’ Books Quarterly (Waterstones magazine), 18 2005.
- I have been interviewed by a Japanese television company and for the BBC4 programme, Timeshift – Farm to Pharma, 30 April 2009, BBC4 21.00.
I have done numerous radio interviews for local radio stations in Britain, America and Australia, and also for national radio:
- Ruby Murray – The secret History of Curry, BBC Radio 4, 9 April 2010, 11.00 a.m..
- For BBC Radio 4 and Radio 3 on Woman’s Hour.
- You and Yours.
- The Today Programme.
- Night Waves.
Recent Invited Lectures, Conferences and Seminar Papers
- ‘Delight and disgust: the work of the senses’
- Intoxication of the Senses Research Group, University of Cambridge, March 2012
- ‘History through Food’
- Comparative Social and Cultural History Seminar, University of Cambridge, February 2012
- ‘Meat and Conflict’
- Cambridge Food and Drink Network, University of Cambridge, November 2011
- ‘The Taste of War’
- Ilkley Literary Festival, Ilkley, October 2011
- ‘The Taste of War’
- Hay Literary Festival, Hay-on-Wye, May 2011