Conferences at which I have presented papers:
- Coloquio Internacional "América y el Tratado de Utrecht, 1713-2013" [International Colloquium "The Americas and the Treaty of Utrecht, 1713-2013"], [23-24 October, 2013]
Organised jointly by Instituto de Investigaciones Dr. José María Luis Mora and UNAM's Instituto de Investigaciones Históricas. Held at Instituto Mora and UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico.
I presented a paper titled 'El Nuevo Reino de Granada en el sistema de Utrecht: condiciones locales, contexto internacional y reforma institucional' ['The New Kingdom of Granada and the Utrecht system: local conditions, internationl context and institutional reform'].
- 44th Annual Meeting of the Society for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies, [4-7 April, 2013]
Held at the Double Tree Hotel in Albuquerque, New Mexico, US.
I presented a paper titled '"Having Served in the Troops”. Military officers as provincial governors in Early-Bourbon Spanish America'.
- 2012 Annual Meeting of the Society for Latin American Studies, [18-20 April, 2012]
Held at the University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK.
I presented a paper titled 'Military officers as provincial governors and captains-general in early eighteenth-century Spanish America'.
- 2011 Conference of the Association for Spanish and Portuguese Historical Studies, [30 June-2 July, 2011]
Held at the Institute of Social Sciences, University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal.
I presented a paper titled '"The Concil must have been confused": court politics and the second creation of the viceroyalty of New Granada, 1734-1739’.
- Spanish America in the Early Eighteenth Century: New Perspectives on a Forgotten Era, [15-16 April, 2011]
Organised by the Institute of Advanced Study and the Department of History, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK.
I presented a paper titled 'Them who "restored the honour of the Spanish nation": Spanish military officers, Italian campaigns and American government'.
Conference website: Spanish America in the Early Eighteenth Century.
- 2011 Annual Meeting of the Conference on Latin America History / 125th Annual Meeting of the American Historical Association, [6-9 January, 2011]
Held in Boston, MA, USA.
I presented a paper titled 'The Abbot, the Council and the Viceroyalty: Court Politics and the First Creation of the Viceroyalty of New Granada, 1717-1723'.
- Latin American History: A Research Student Workshop, [21 June, 2010]
Organised by the Institute for the Study of the Americas, University of London, London, United Kingdom.
I presented a paper titled 'Between New Granadan Accusations and Court Politics: the Suppression of the First Viceroyalty of New Granada in 1723'.
Conference website: Latin American History: A Research Student Workshop.
- 1er Foro Editorial de Estudios Hispánicos y Americanistas, [21-23, April, 2010]
Held at the Universitat Jaume I, Castelló de la Plana, Spain.
My paper [comunicación] titled 'El abate, el consejo y el virreinato: la política cortesana y la primera creación del virreinato de Nueva Granada (1717-1723)' was read in my absence.
- 2010 Annual Conference of the Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland, [12-14 April, 2010]
Held at the King's College, University of London, London, United Kingdom.
I presented a paper titled '"To represent the royal person". Viceroys and captains-general in the Spanish world under Philip V'.
Conference website: AHGBI 2010 Conference.
- Defining resources in the Americas: policies and politics, [11 March, 2010]
Organised the by the Newcastle Institute for the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (NIASSH) and the Newcastle University Americas Research Group (ARG) Postgraduate Series. Held at the University of Newcastle, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom.
I presented a paper titled: 'A viceroy's magic touch: natural resources, economic development, and the calls for the creation of a viceroyalty in New Granada, 1708-1738'.
Conference's website: Defining resources in the Americas.
- Forceful Negotiations: The origins of the Pronunciamiento in Nineteenth-Century Mexico, [20-22 June, 2008]
Held at St Salvator's College and New Hall at the University of St. Andrews, Scotland.
I presented a paper titled: '"The people", "necessity" and "general usefulness": the political language and dynamics of the overthrow of Viceroy José de Iturrigaray'.
Conference's website: The Pronunciamiento in Independent Mexico: 1821-1876.
- 2008 Annual Conference of the Association of Hispanists of Great Britain and Ireland, [25-27 March, 2008]
Held at the University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom.
I gave a paper titled 'The Illusion of Disloyalty: Rumours, Distrust and Antagonism in the Charges Brought against the Viceroy of New Spain in the Fall of 1808'.
Conference website: AHGBI 2008 Conference.
- Latin American Studies Association's XXVII International Congress, [5-8 September, 2007]
Held in Montreal, Canada.
I presented a paper titled 'A view of Philadelphia from Anahuac: The Constitution of the United States of America in the1823-24 Mexican Constituent Congress'.
Congress' website: LASA's International Congress.
- Warwick History Department Annual Postgraduate Conference, [24-25 May, 2007]
Held at the University of Warwick, Coventry, UK.
I presented a later version of the paper titled 'Turning a representative junta into a failed attempt at independence: the use of pre- and post-coup sources in writing the history of Mexico City's experience of the Spanish crisis of 1808'.
Conference's website: Warwick History Department Postgraduate Conference.
- Perception, Depiction and Description: Writing history, [18-19 May, 2007]
Held at the University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK.
I presented a paper titled 'Turning a representative junta into a failed attempt at independence: the use of pre- and post-coup sources in writing the history of Mexico City's experience of the Spanish crisis of 1808'.
Conference's website: Historical Perspectives (histper).
- 2nd AlBan Conference - Grenoble 2007, [11-12 May, 2007].
San Hipólito and the Mexican Coat of Arms, Unknown artist, 17th Century, Mexico.