Formatting and Submission of Dissertations
Dissertations should be submitted in electronic copy as a .pdf, .doc or .docx via Tabula, as with every other assessment. No hard copy is required.
- The first page of your dissertation must be your cover sheet with your title and student ID displayed clearly
- There should be a 4cm (1½-inch) margin at the left-hand side of the page, and an adequate margin on the other three edges.
- The text of your dissertation should be double-spaced. The footnotes (or endnotes) should, however, be single-spaced.
- Except for the very first paragraph under a new heading, the first line of every paragraph should be indented. You do not need to add extra spacing between paragraphs: the indentation alone tells the reader that you have begun a new paragraph.
- Number each page of your dissertation.
- The dissertation must be anonymous; the cover sheet should only have your student ID number as a means to identify you.
- Your student ID must be displayed as a header/footer on each page of the dissertation.
- The first page of your dissertation should be your cover sheet with your title and student ID clearly displayed.
Word Count, Lateness and Plagiarism
Penalties apply for exceeding the word count, late submissions and plagiarism. Please follow the assessment guidelines as for any other submission.
Dissertations should use the MHRA referencing style, as for any other submission.