Location: Madrid, Spain
Language of Instruction: Spanish (and some English)
History Year Abroad Student Views:
- My Spanish has improved hugely and I have loved living and studying in another country.
- I volunteered with a charity who took food and drink to the homeless in Madrid. They met once a month and we would all bring food and take it to the plaza mayor, where we would spend the evening talking with and giving food to local homeless people. I found this experience extremely rewarding, especially as I had been shocked by how many homeless people there were in Madrid when I arrived.
- I think the most important skills I developed were independence and confidence, as living abroad and adjusting to new surroundings and speaking a different language all day was challenging at first . . . It was so daunting to initially walk alone into university for a lecture or seminar in Spanish with Spanish students. However, once I went and met other students I really enjoyed it.
- The teaching at Complutense University seems a lot more old fashioned - the teaching is (mainly) centred around lecturers standing at the front and speaking for an hour and a half without any visual aid! Powerpoints were rarely used by my lecturers.
- My ability to read and write in Spanish has improved through regular Spanish language classes. I also learnt a lot about Spanish history, which I had never studied before this year.
- I joined a choir in first term, have taken part in 'intercambios' with local people, and explored other parts of Spain (Salamanca, Seville, Zamora, Murcia, Toledo, Segovia, Chinchon, Cuenca...)
- I became very aware of the laid back way of life in Spain! I also really enjoyed embracing the Spanish culture - for example by taking part in salsa classes.
Please note that not all institutions are available each year, and places will be allocated on a competitive basis. Partnerships may be added or withdrawn at any time, and are always subject to availability. The institutions available each year will be posted in the preceding Autumn Term.
Year Abroad Contacts:
Professor Tim Lockley
Director of Study Abroad Programmes
Mrs Val Melling
Tel: +44 (0)24 765 22502
HistoryOffice at warwick dot ac dot uk