1. Modern Spain
- Raymond Carr, Modern Spain, 1875-1980 (Oxford, 2000)
- Francisco Romero Salvado, Twentieth Century Spain: Politics and Society in Spain, 1898-1998 (New York, 1999)
- Mary Vincent, Spain, 1833-2002 (Oxford, 2007)
2. Spanish North Africa
- Susan Gilson Miller, A History of Modern Morocco: 1830-2000 (Cambridge, 2013)
- Jonathan Wyrtzen, Making Morocco: Colonial Intervention and the Politics of Identity (Cornell, 2015)
- Modern Spain: A Documentary History, ed. by Jon Cowans (Philadelphia, 2003)
- ‘Treaty between France and Spain Regarding Morocco’, American Journal of International Law 7(1913), pp. 81-99.
- Don Tomas Baldasano, ‘Spanish Morocco’, Journal of the Royal Society of Arts, 75 (1927), 792-809
- Marquis de Merry del Val, ‘The Visit of their Majesties the King and Queen of Spain to the Spanish Zone of Morocco’, Journal of the Royal Society of Arts, 76 (1927), pp. 136-143.
- ¡No Pasarán! Writings from the Spanish Civil War, ed. by Ayrton, Peter (London, 2016)
- ‘Trabajadores: The Spanish Civil War through the eyes of organized labour’ hosted by the Modern Records Centre, University of Warwick (https://warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/explorefurther/digital/scw)
- ‘Magazines and War, 1936-1939. Spanish Civil War Print Culture’. This is a joint project of the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (http://www.magazinesandwar.com/en.html)
- ‘Spanish Civil War Posters’ held at the Library of Congress (http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?st=grid&co=spcw)
- Photographs by Charles Clifford, Agustí Centelles, Robert Capa, Gerda Taro, Francesc Català-Roca ‘Shots of War: Photojournalism of the Spanish Civil War’ from the Southworth Collection at the University of California at San Diego (http://libraries.ucsd.edu/speccoll/swphotojournalism/index.html)
- ‘Guide to the SS Navemar’, a ship that brought Jews from Spain to the US in 1941 (http://digifindingaids.cjh.org/?pID=479979)
- Digitalised newspapers hosted by the Biblioteca National de España (http://www.bne.es/es/Catalogos/HemerotecaDigital/docs/tabla_listadocompleto.pdf
- El País (newspaper)
- ABC (newspaper) (http://hemeroteca.abc.es)
- Statistical Yearbook of Spain (1858ff) (http://www.ine.es/prodyser/pubweb/anuarios_mnu.htm)
- Treaty and other documents related to Spain’s accession to the European Communities (later EU)
- Digital collections of PARES (Portal de Archivos Españoles) (http://pares.mcu.es/proyectos.html)
- Contesting Spain? The Dynamics of Nationalist Movements in Catalonia and the Basque Country ed. by Richard Gillespie and Caroline Gray (Abingdon, 2015)
- Empire's End: Transnational Connections in the Hispanic World (Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press, 2016)
- Spain and the Great Powers in the Twentieth Century, ed. by Sebastian Balfour and Paul Preston (London: Routledge, 1999)
- Tetuán: El Ensanche. Guía de arquitectura, 1913-1956 (Sevilla, 1996)
- Sebastian Balfour, Deadly Embrace: Morocco and the road to the Spanish Civil War (Oxford, 2002)
- Sebastian Balfour, The End of the Spanish Empire (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1997)
- C. R. Halstead, ‘A Somewhat Machiavellian’ Face: Colonel Juan Beigbeder as High Commissioner in Spanish Morocco, 1937-1939,’ Historian 37(1974): 46-66
- Alison Ribeiro de Menzes, Embodying Memory in Contemporary Spain (2014)
- Alison Ribeiro de Menzes and Stewart King, ‘The Future of Memory in Spain’, Bulletin of Hispanic Studies, 94 (2017).
- Stanley Payne, Franco and Hitler: Spain, Germany, and World War II (New Haven, 2008)
- Paul Preston, Franco: A Biography (London, 1993).
- Paul Preston, The Spanish Civil War: Reaction, Revolution, and Revenge (London, 2006).
- Helen Rawlings, The Debate on the Decline of Spain (Manchester, 2012)
- Isabelle Rohr, The Spanish Right and the Jews, 1898-1945: Antisemitism and Opportunism (Sussex, 2007)
- A. Stucki, ‘The hard side of soft power: Spanish rhetorics of empire from the 1950s to the 1970s’, in M. Thomas & R. Toye (Eds.), Rhetorics of Empire. Languages of Colonial Conflict After 1900 (Manchester, 2017), pp. 142-160.
- Nigel Townson, Spain Transformed: The Late Franco Dictatorship, 1959-75 (New York, 2010).
- Raanan Rein, ‘In Pursuit of Votes and Economic Treaties: Francoist Spain and the Arab World, 1945-56’, Mediterranean Historical Review (1998), pp. 195-215.
- Javier Tussell, Spain: From Dictatorship to Democracy (Oxford, 2012).
- Daniel Ziblatt, Conservative Parties and the Birth of Democracy in Europe (Cambridge: CUP, 2017)