- Crouzet-Pavan, Elisabeth, 'Venice and its Surroundings', in Eric R. Dursteler (ed.), A Companion to Venetian History 1400-1797 (Leiden, 2013), pp. 25-46. Brill e-book
- Fusaro, Maria, 'Venetian Empire', in John M. McKenzie (ed.), The Encyclopedia of Empire (Chichester, 2016), pp. 1-11. Wiley e-book.
- acopo de' Barbari's view of Venice: map making, city views, and moralized geography before the year 1500', JArt Bulletin 60.3 (1978), 425-74.
- de' Barbari, Jacopo, View of Venice, 1500
- Chambers, David, and Brian Pullan (eds), Venice: A Documentary History 1450-1630 (Oxford, 1992; rept. Toronto, 2001), pp. 1-35.
Recommended Further Reading
- Ammerman, Albert J., 'Venice before the Grand Canal', Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome 48 (2003), 141-158
- Arbel, Benjamin, 'Venice's Maritime Empire in the Early Modern Period', in Eric R. Dursteler (ed.), A Companion to Venetian History 1400-1797 (Leiden, 2013), pp. 125-253. Brill e-book
- Knapton, Michael, 'Venice and the Terraferma', in Andrea Gamberini and Isabella Lazzarini (eds), The Italian Renaissance State (Cambridge, 2012), pp. 132-55. Dawson e-book
- How did the Myth of Venice evolve?
- What do contemporary textual and visual representations reveal about Venice and its empire in the Renaissance?
- How did the attitudes and policies of Venice towards the Stato da mar and the Stato da terra change between c. 1350 and c. 1650?
- Discussion of the Campo Exercise
Indications for Further Reading