Undergraduate History and CAS students do have opportunities to study Outside Options (i.e. modules from other academic departments) in specific years of their course, usually in their second year:
|Opportunities to take an Outside Option||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4|
|V100||History single-honours students, 'Modern History' stream||Yes||Yes||No|
|V101||History single-honours students, 'Modern History' stream, with a Year Abroad||Yes||Yes||n/a||No|
|V100||History single-honours students, 'Renaissance and Modern History' stream||No||Yes||No|
|V101||History single-honours students, 'Renaissance and Modern History' stream, with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|V230||History, Literature and Cultures of the Americas, with Year Abroad||Yes||Yes||n/a||Yes|
|V231||History, Literature and Cultures of the Americas, without Year Abroad||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|VQ32||English and History||No||Yes||No|
|VQ33||English and History with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|V1V5||History and Philosophy||No||Yes||No|
|tba||History and Philosophy with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|VM11||History and Politics||No||Yes||No|
|VM12||History and Politics with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|VL13||History and Sociology||No||Yes||No|
|VL14||History and Sociology with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|R1VA||French and History with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|R2V1||German and History with a Year Abroad||No||Yes||n/a||No|
|R3V2||History and Italian with a Year Abroad||No||n/a||Yes||No|
The policies listed below apply to all undergraduate History and CAS students seeking an Outside Option.
- History students, both single and joint honours, are only permitted to take an Outside Option that is the same level as their year of study. Therefore final-year students cannot study second-year or first-year Outside Options, second-year students cannot study final-year or first-year Outside Options, and first-year students cannot study second-year or final-year Outside Options.
- History students, both single and joint honours, are permitted to take an Outside Option of a suitable level from any of the following academic departments: Centre for Education Studies, Classics and Ancient History, English and Comparative Literary Studies, Film and Television Studies, French Studies, German Studies, Hispanic Studies, History of Art, Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning (IATL), Italian Studies, Language Centre, Philosophy, Politics and International Studies, Sociology, and Theatre and Performance Studies. In addition, students are also permitted to take as an outside option the 'Introduction to Teaching History' module available from the Centre for Teacher Education. History students wishing to take an Outside Option of a suitable level from any other academic department must first make a case to the History Department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, Professor Beat Kümin, for an exception to be made.
- History students, both single and joint honours, are not usually permitted to take an Outside Option in their final year of study. History students wishing to do so must first make a case to the History Department's Director of Undergraduate Studies, Professor Beat Kümin, for an exception to be made. The case cannot simply be that the desired Outside Option is of interest to the student or pertinent to their future career plans, but must instead include a clear link to the academic course the student is currently enrolled on.
- CAS students are permitted to take an approved first-year Outside Option in their first year, a first-year or second-year Outside Option in their second year, and are permitted to take an approved second-year or final-year Outside Option in their fourth year. CAS students may select Outside Options from the approved list of outside options published on the CAS website. CAS students wishing to take an Outside Option that is not on that list must first make a case to the CAS Director, Dr Benjamin Smith, for an exception to be made.
- No History or CAS students, single-honours or joint-honours, are permitted to take a beginners level language module as an Outside Option in any year of study other than in the first year.
- All single-honours and joint-honours History students (not CAS students) are required to study at least one early modern history option module in their second year. This requirement cannot be avoided by taking an Outside Option in its place.
- All Outside Options must be either 15 CATS or 30 CATS (e.g. no 6 CATS, 12 CATS, or 24 CATS modules). Students may take two 15 CATS modules for a total of 30 CATS, and the two modules can be from the same academic department or from two different academic departments, but the two modules must be scheduled for one in the autumn term and one in the spring term.
- All History and CAS students seeking an Outside Option must apply for the module place they seek to the department responsible for the teaching of that module using the application process and deadlines of that department. Please note that the application process and deadlines may be considerably different to those of the History Department, and so it is very important for students to find out the process and deadlines from the relevant department at the earliest possible opportunity.
- All History and CAS students seeking an Outside Option should be aware that all departments will allocate module places to their own students before offering any to outside students, and therefore the places on some of the most popular modules can all be taken up by students of the department responsible for the teaching of the module and so unavailable to outside students.
- All History and CAS students taking an Outside Option must follow the deadlines, processes, procedures, and methods of assessment of the department responsible for the teaching of the module.
Please note that there are separate policies for non-History students seeking a History or CAS module as an Outside Option and for Visiting International Students (please see the links below).