This module is open to you if you have worked as a language assistant during your Year Abroad, have participated actively in the Adopt a Class project, or if you have some other relevant teaching experience (please contact the module convenor, Teresa MacKinnon, with any queries about this). The module comprises the following elements:
- a placement in the Modern Foreign Language department of a local secondary school (equivalent to 5 days in total*)
- a series of seminars exploring current trends in and critical approaches to foreign language education and pedagogy
- practical workshops on current processes and practices in foreign language school teaching in the UK (led by the CPE)
- practical workshops to create and modify digital language learning resources (led by SMLC)
The module places a strong emphasis on research and reflection: you will be asked to draw on your own experiences of the language learning process, and will engage with the following themes:
- Multilingualism and diversity in the classroom
- Research-led teaching and learning
- Using technologies and media in language teaching
- Creating resources for language learning
- Language learning skills and autonomy
- Using Story and Text in language teaching
Your research and reflection will be guided by specialist tutors from SMLC, and you will build an e-portfolio which demonstrates both your critical engagement with the topics and your reflections on teaching and learning processes relating to them. Placements will usually be arranged on one afternoon a week during the 10 week term according to timetabling of participants.
* Placements will usually be arranged on one afternoon a week during the 10 week term according to the timetables of participants.
Professional Activity Log (formative assessment task)