You may, If you wish, discuss the same text/thinker in a summative assignment as you have discussed in a piece of formative assignment, but you must not reproduce in part or whole any of your formative assignment in your summative assignment.
You should note that in the examination for this module, you will not be permitted to answer a question relating to material on which you have submitted an assessed essay.
You may choose from one of the titles below or devise your own title in consultation with the module tutor. Essays should be either 2000-2500 or 4000-4500 words in length.
1. Critically examine the interplay of the natural and the artificial in any film(s) of the French New Wave.
2. Critically analyse the design and use of interiors in any film(s) of the French New Wave OR examine the inter-relationship of interior and exterior space in any New Wave film(s).
3. Critically analyse the role of consumer objects in any film(s) of the French New Wave.
4. To what extent, and in what ways, can enjoyment be understood as a useful concept when analyzing any film(s) of the French New Wave?
5. Describe and analyse the significance of figure movement to any film(s) of the French New Wave.
6. Explain what you understand by the concept of ‘mise-en-scène’ as theorized by the critics of the French New Wave and show how this concept is given form in any ONE OR MORE films of the period.