You are strongly encouraged to devise your own essay titles in consultation with one of the module tutors. However, you may if you wish choose to write a summative essay on one of the topics below.
These are summative essay titles. The mark for this essay will count toward your end-of-year assessment and your degree classification.
See here for information about SMLC summative assessment requirements.
- The representation of social isolation in ONE OR MORE contemporary French texts studied.
- The meanings of illness and medicine in Emmanuel Carrère's L'Adversaire.
- Delphine de Vigan's Rien ne s'oppose à la nuit as autofiction.
- Michel Houellebecq's Soumission: satire, warning, or provocation?
- An analysis of narrative voice in Nina Bouraoui's Standard.
The representation of corporate culture and management practices in Thierry Beinstingel's Ils désertent
The depiction of France in a period of economic crisis in Virginie Despentes's Vernon Subutex
The relationship between the human and the animal in Joy Sorman's Comme une bête
- Tanguy Viel's La Disparition de Jim Sullivan as a response to 'World Literature'
- The relationship between politics and literature with reference to TWO or THREE of the texts studied