Coursework essay titles (non-assessed)
- Why and to what extent was the textual exploration of sexual pleasure felt to be a threat to morality in seventeenth-century France? Illustrate your answer with examples drawn from at least two of the authors listed for this module. You may include the Anthology if you wish.
- Discuss the impact of actual or threatened censorship on one or two of the authors and/or works set for study.
- To what extent and in what ways can Théophile’s love poetry be described as ‘libertine’?
- Être and paraître in Sorel’s Francion.
“An author who wishes to spread controversial views or voice criticism of certain aspects of the society in which he lives, has everything to gain from being a good story-teller.” Discuss with reference to Sorel's Francion and/or Cyrano de Bergerac's Voyage dans la lune.
- « Hérétique, non en fait de religion, mais en fait d’amour »: to what extent, and in what ways, do you find this description applicable to the d’Assoucy’s portrayal of himself in his Aventures?
You may also choose a topic or question from one of the seminar worksheet for further elaboration as a coursework essay.