- Wk 1: Introduction (from scepticism to libertinage; libertinage de mœurs vs. libertinage de pensée)
Please read the Libertine Anthology and prepare some notes on the basis of the accompanying worksheet.
- Wk 2: Obscenity, or the libertin emprisoned : the case of Théophile de Viau
Download the Théophile seminar worsheet.
- Wk 3: Frank and free I: Charles Sorel, Francion
- Wk 4: Frank and free II: Charles Sorel, Francion: continued
Download the Sorel seminar worksheet.
Download a Sorel bibliography with suggestions for futher reading. (Students are to make their own selection.)
Sorel's Francion- structural anamorphosis hand-out
Francion's Dream - structure hand-out
- Wk 5: Thinking the Impossible I: Cyrano de Bergerac, Voyage dans la lune