In addition to the summative assignment that you may be REQUIRED to submit for this module, you have the OPTION to write a formative assignment from the list of questions given below. Please note that formative assignments are for training purposes only and do not count as part of your final degree classification.
We strongly recommend that you submit a formative assignment as it will enable you to hone the skills developed in this module and to prepare for your summative assessment(s).
You may, If you wish, discuss the same text/thinker in a summative assignment as you have discussed in a piece of formative assignment, but you must not reproduce in part or whole any of your formative assignment in your summative assignment.
- One coursework (formative) essay per term (about 1,500 words in length) is required for this module.
- Essays are to be handed in by Friday of week 10 (Autumn term) and week 18 (Spring Term)
These are formative essay titles. You will receive feedback on your essay but the mark will not be counted toward your end-of-year assessment or degree classification. Please note, you may not submit an essay on one of these titles for the summative end-of-year assessment.
Choose one of the following titles:
- Analyse and comment on the use of space in any one film shown.
- Examine the use made of any one or more performer in any one or more films shown.
- Write a critical analysis of the opening sequence of any one film screened.
- Analyse the use of sound in any one film screened.
Any of the above titles or:
- Discuss the treatment of time in any one of the films shown.
- With reference to specific examples, analyse the ways in which locations and location-shooting contribute to any one of the films shown.