- The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer’s Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay, David Howard and Edward Mabley
- Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting, Syd Field (Third Edition), Bantam Doubleday Bell, 1998.
- On Directing, David Mamet
- Poetics, Aristotle, Penguin Classics, 1996
- On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Stephen King , Hodder & Stoughton, 2000
- Adventures In The Screen Trade: A Personal View of Hollywood, William Goldman, 1983
- In the Blink of an Eye Revised 2nd Edition, Walter Murch, 2001
- Hitchcock: A Definitive Study of Alfred Hitchcock, Francois Truffaut. Simon & Schuster, 1986. (NB: This is a revised edition of the original 'Hitchcock', 1967, which may be cheaper.)
- On Film-making, Alexander Mackendrick. Faber & Faber, 2006.
- Ronald Harwood's Adaptations: From Other Works into Films, Ronald Harwood. Guerilla Books, 2007.
- Scorsese on Scorsese Ed. David Thompson and Ian Christie. Faber & Faber,1989.
- Story, Robert McKee. Methuen,1999.
Films to Watch, a sample list
- The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant, written/directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1972
- Carol, written by Phyllis Nagy, directed by Todd Haynes, 2015
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, written by Lawrence Hauben, Bo Goldman, Ken Kesey and Dale Wasserman, directed by Milos Forman, 1975
- Wadjda, written and directed by Haifaa al-Mansour, 2013
- In The Mood For Love, written and directed by Wong Kar-wai, 2000
- The Falling, written and directed by Carol Morley, 2014
- The Arbor, directed by Clio Barnard, 2010
- Melancholia, written and directed by Lars Von Trier, 2011
- Red Road, written by Lone Scherfig, Andrea Arnold and Anders Thomas Jensen and directed by Andrea Arnold, 2006
- After Lucia, written and directed by Michel Franco, 2012
- Ratcatcher, written and directed by Lynne Ramsay, 1999
- All That Heaven Allows, written by Peg Fenwick, Edna L. Lee and Harry Lee, directed by Douglas Sirk, 1955
- Heathers, written by Daniel Waters and directed by Michael Lehmann, 1988
- The Duke Of Burgundy, written and directed by Peter Strickland, 2014
- The Shining, written by Stanley Kubrick, Diane Johson and Stephen King (novel) and directed by Stanley Kubrick, 1980
- Adaptation, written by Charlie Kaufman and directed by Spike Jonze, 2003
- Oldboy written and directed by Park Chan-Wook, co-written by Chun-hyeong Lim, adapted from story by Garon Tsuchiya and comic by Nobuaki Minegishi
- Groundhog Day written and directed by Harold Ramis, co-written by Danny Rubin
- Amadeus written by Peter Shaffer and directed by Milos Forman
- Psycho written by Joseph Stefano (adapted from Robert Bloch’s novel), and directed by Alfred HItchock
- The Apartment written and directed by Billy Wilder, co-written by I.A.L. Diamond
- Festen (The Celebration) written and directed by Thomas Vinterberg and co-written by Mogens Rukov
- Alien written by Dan O’Bannon and Ronald Shusett and directed by Ridley Scott
- Misery written by William Goldman (adapted from S King’s novel) and directed by Rob Reiner
- Elephant Man written by Christopher De Vore and David Lynch, directed by David Lynch
- Rashomon written and directed by Akira Kurosawa and co-written by Shinobu Hashimoto
- Memento written by Jonathan & Christopher Nolan. Director Christopher Nolan. 2000.
- Bicycle Thieves written and directed by Vittorio di Sica, 1948
- Breathless written and directed by Jean-Luc Godard. 1960.
- Citizen Kane written by Herman J. Mankiewicz & Orson Welles. Directed by Orson Welles. 1941.
- Days of Heaven written and directed by Terence Malick. 1978
- Jules et Jim written and directed by Francois Truffaut, 1962
- North by Northwest written by Ernest Lehman. Director Alfred Hitchcock, 1959.
- Taxi Driver written by Paul Schrader. Director Martin Scorcese. 1976.
- Thelma & Louise written by Callie Khouri. Director Ridley Scott, 1991
- The Truman Show written by Andrew Niccol. Director Peter Weir, 1998.
- The Thin Red Line written and directed by Terrence Malick, 1998
- The Seven Year Itch, dir Billy Wilder, 1955
Screenplays All available online
- Django written by Quentin Tarantino
- Adaptation, written by Charlie Kaufmann
- Little Miss Sunshine by Michael Arndt
- Memento - Screenplay Jonathan Nolan & Christopher Nolan. Director Christopher Nolan. 2000.
- Taxi Driver written by Paul Schrader
- Misery written by William Goldman
- Carol by Phyllis Nagy
- You Can Count On Me written by Kenneth Lonergan, 2001
- Submarine - written and directed by Richard Ayoade. 2010.
- Heathers by Daniel Waters, 1988
- Six Feet Under by Alan Ball
- House of Cards (US version) by Beau Willimon (based on mini-series by Andrew Davies and novel by Michael Hobbs
- Breaking Bad by Vince Gilligan
Other recommended film screenplays
- Pride and Prejudice - Screenplay Deborah Moggach. Director Joe Wright. 2005.
- The Lives of Others - written & directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. 2006.
- The Diving Bell and the Butterfly Screenplay by Ronald Harwood. Director Julian Schnabel. 2007.
- Frost/ Nixon - Screenplay Peter Morgan, Director Ron Howard. 2008.
- The Hurt Locker - Screenplay Mark Boal. Director Kathryn Bigelow. 2008.
- The Same River Twice by Alice Walker (contains her first draft screenplay for the film The Color Purple)
- The Truman Show – written by Andrew Niccol, 1999