Dave is Professor of Sustainable Development at the University of Warwick in the UK and Monash University in Australia.
Dave is the founding professor of Warwick's Institute for Global Sustainable Development and provides strategic oversight of the academic direction of Institute activities. His own research focusses on the essential interlinked nature of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and how consideration of this is required for optimal implimentation of the SDGs.
From 2007 to 2015 Dave was Director of the Monash Sustainability Institute (MSI) which aims to deliver solutions to key sustainability challenges. In November 2008 he also became CEO of the newly created ClimateWorks Australia (CWA), an independent research-based non-profit organisation committed to catalysing greenhouse gas emissions reductions. Previous positions he has held include UK Met Office Deputy Chief Scientist, Director of the Hadley Centre for Climate Change, and Head of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) scientific assessment unit. Dave was heavily involved in the development of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including representing the Science and Technology Major Group in the SDG negotiations and writing two papers published in Nature on the SDGs.
Dave is a past vice-chair of the World Climate Research Programme and member of the Victorian Ministerial Reference Council on Climate Change Adaptation. He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE), a member of the Doctors for the Environment Australia Scientific Committee and the Climate Institute Strategic Council. Dave was awarded the Vilho Vaisala award (World Meteorological Organization) in 1992 and a 2014 WME Leaders List Award which honours individuals who have provided extraordinary environment leadership.
- Nilsson, M., Griggs, D.J, Visbeck, M., 2016, Map the interactions between Sustainable Development Goals, Nature [P], vol 534, issue 7607, Nature Publishing Group (NPG), London UK, pp. 320-322.
- Griggs, D.J., Stafford-Smith, M., Gaffney, O., Rockstrom, J., Ohman, M.C., Shyamsundar, P., Steffen, W., Glaser, G., Kanie, N., Noble, I., 2013, Sustainable development goals for people and planet, Nature [P], vol 495, issue 7441, Nature Publishing Group (NPG), London UK, pp. 305-307.
- Lynch, A.H., Griggs, D.J., Joachim, L., Walker, J., 2013, The role of the Yorta Yorta people in clarifying the common interest in sustainable management of the Murray-Darling Basin, Australia, Policy Sciences [P], vol 46, Springer, New York NY USA, pp. 109-123.
- Read, P.A., Stanley, J.R., Vella-Brodrick, D.A., Griggs, D.J., 2013, Towards a contraction and convergence target based on population life expectancies since 1960, Environment, Development and Sustainability: a multidisciplinary approach to the theory and practice of sustainable development [P], vol 15, issue 5, Springer, Dordrecht Netherlands, pp. 1173-1187.
- Griggs, D., Kestin, T., 2011, Bridging the gap between climate scientists and decision makers, Climate Research [P], vol 47, Inter-Research, Luhe Germany, pp. 139-144.
- Folland, C.K., Griggs, D.J., Houghton, J.T., 2004, History of the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, Weather [P], vol 59, issue 11, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, United Kingdom, pp. 317-323.
- Stanley, J.R., Birrell, R.J., Brain, P., Carey, M.G., Duffy, M., Ferraro, S., Fisher, S., Griggs, D.J., Hall, A., Kestin, T., Macmillan, C., Manning, I., Martin, H., Rapson, V.J., Spencer, M., Stanley, C., Steffen, W., Symmons, M.A., Wright, W., 2013, What Would a Climate-Adapted Settlement Look Like in 2030? A Case Study of Inverloch and Sandy Point, National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, Southport Qld Australia.
- Watson, R.T., Albritton, D.L., Barker, T., Bashmakov, I., Canziani, O.F., Christ, R., Cubasch, U., Davidson, O.R., Gitay, H., Griggs, D.J., Halsnaes, K., Houghton, J.T., House, J.I., Kundzewicz, Z.W., Lal, M., Leary, N., Magadza, C., McCarthy, J.J., Mitchell, J.F.B., Moreira, J.R., Munasinghe, M., Noble, I., Pachauri, R.K., Pittock, B., Prather, M.J., Richels, R.G., Robinson, J.B., Sathaye, J., Schneider, S., Scholes, R., Stocker, T., Sundararaman, N., Swart, R.J., Taniguchi, T., Zhou, D.W., 2001, Climate Change 2001: Synthesis Report. A Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Houghton, J.T., Ding, Y., Griggs, D.J., Noguer, M., van der Linden, P.J., Dai, X., Maskell, K., Johnson, C.A., 2001, Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Albritton, D.L., Filho, L.M., Cubasch, U., Dai, X., Griggs, D.J., Hewitson, B., Houghton, J.T., Isaksen, I., Karl, T., McFarland, M., Meleshko, V.P., Mitchell, J.F.B., Noguer, M., Nyenzi, B.S., Oppenheimer, M., Penner, J.E., Pollonais, S., Stocker, T., Trenberth, K.E., 2001, Technical Summary, in Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, eds Houghton, J.T., Y. Ding, D.J. Griggs, M. Noguer, P.J. van der Linden, X. Dai, K. Maskell and C.A. Johnson, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- Troccoli, A., Audinet, P., Bonelli, P., Boulahya, M.S., Buontempo, C., Coppin, P., Dubus, L., Dutton, J.A., Ebinger, J., Griggs, D.J., Gryning, S., Gunasekera, D., Harrison, M., Haupt, S.E., Lee, T., Mailier, P., Mathieu, P., Schaeffer, R., Schroedter-Homsmscheidt, M., Zhu, R., Zillman, J., 2013, Promoting new links between energy and meteorology, Bulletin Of The American Meteorological Society [P], 8 November 2011 to 11 November 2011, American Meteorological Society, Boston MA USA, pp. 36-40.
- Vera, C., Barange, M., Dube, O., Goddard, L., Griggs, D., Kobysheva, N., Odada, E., Parey, S., Polovina, J., Poveda, G., Seguin, B., Trenberth, K., 2010, Needs assessment for climate information on decadal timescales and longer, Procedia Environmental Sciences [E], Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands, pp. 275-286.
- Vera, C., Barange, M., Dube, O.P., Goddard, L., Griggs, D.J., Kobysheva, N.V., Odada, E.O., Parey, S., Polovina, J.J., Poveda, G., Seguin, B., Trenberth, K.E., 2009, Towards predication of decadal climate variability and change, WCC-3 Decadal Climate Variable Session, 31 August 2009 to 4 September 2009, Elsevier, Geneva Switzerland, pp. 1-20.
- Griggs, D.J., Lynch, A.H., Joachim, L., Zhu, X., Adler, C., Bischoff-Mattson, Z., Wang, P., Kestin, T., 2013, Indigenous Voices in Climate Change Adaptation: Addressing the Challenges of Diverse Knowledge Systems in the Barmah-Millewa, National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, Gold Coast Qld Australia, pp. 1-65.
- Griggs, D.J., Carey, M.G., Curtis, J.M., Kestin, T., Rigby, C.E., Stanley, J.R., Thwaites, J., Wallis, P.J., Ward, M.B., 2013, Workshop on Valuing Adaptation, Monash Sustainability Institute, Clayton VIC Australia, pp. 1-23.
- Wallis, P.J., Birrell, R.J., Griggs, D.J., Healy, E.J., Langford, J., Stanley, J.R., 2009, Melbourne's water situation: The opportunity for diverse solutions, Monash Sustainability Institute, Monash University Clayton Campus, pp. 1-29.
- Lynch, A.H., Griggs, D.J., Nicholls, N., 2008, Defining the impacts of climate change on catastrophic events, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia, pp. 1-17.
- Lynch, A.H., Nicholls, N., Alexander, L.V., Griggs, D.J., 2008, Defining the impacts of climate change on extreme events, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia, pp. 1-19.