Skip to main content

Intercalated Work Placement

As a Warwick student, you have the opportunity to do an intercalated year work placement in the UK or abroad. Like the study year abroad, it takes place in your third year. You will transfer from your three-year degree to the equivalent four-year ‘intercalated year’ degree.

This is not an easy option and typically, we do not expect many students to undertake it. Instead they elect to complete a graduate internship/placement on completion of their studies. Please come and discuss the options with the Placement Officer and/or your Personal Tutor before making any decision.

  • The intercalated work placement year is not credit bearing, although you are required to pass by working the specified number of hours and completing a reflective diary (see right);
  • When you return to the University for your final year, you will join the year below that which you left;
  • Due to visa issue requirements, the intercalated year is only available EITHER as a full year Study Abroad OR a full year in a work placement. You cannot do a part-year programme;
  • You are eligible for reduced fees for the year and can retain your 'student status' (see right), which gives you continued access to University resources (e.g. the Library) as well as your Personal Tutor and the departmental Placement Officer. You MUST therefore re-enrol at the start of your placement year;
  • Work placements in Europe may be eligible for an Erasmus+ grant, providing they take place in a participating country. These are applied for through the University (rather than by you personally). Therefore, overseas work placement arrangements are administered by the Study Abroad Team in the International Office.

See also the central University page 'Information about Placements'

Interested? What do I do now?

1. Speak to your Personal Tutor/ Student Experience and Engagement Manager AND the departmental Placement Officer if you are considering completing a work placement year;

2. Currently, you need to locate and secure your own placement. This can be in the UK or abroad. You should be aware that under UK National Minimum Wage legislation, work placement or internship roles in the UK should be paid at least national minimum wage. See the UK Government advice page on Employment rights and pay for interns for full details. Outside of the UK, the rules vary.

Once you have secured a placement:

3. Inform your Personal Tutor/ Student Experience and Engagement Manager AND the departmental Placement Officer;

4. Complete the Placement Details form and email it to the Placement Officer (n dot g dot dalton-king at warwick dot ac dot uk) directly by 31st May of your second year;

The details will be securely recorded centrally in order to schedule the required meetings/consultations and maintain contact with you during your placement;

5. Check with your loan company or other finance provider what they require from you and when, before and/or during your placement;

6. The School Office will transfer you from your three-year degree to the equivalent four-year ‘intercalated year’ degree over the summer;

7. The Placement Officer will contact your named supervisor at the start of your placement to request confirmation of the placement and an outline of the role;

8. At the end of your placement the Placement Officer will contact your named supervisor to confirm that you attended regularly and for the required hours.

Further Information


Check the requirements for an intercalated work placement.

Fees & Funding

Fees are significantly reduced for an intercalated year: 2018/19 costs

Details of student loan advice.


You are requied to keep a reflective learning diary of your experiences in your placement year. Check details


Details of support from departmental staff , the Study Abroad Team (if appropriate) and other sources.