New and noteworthy
Image credit: Dr Nick Bernards
A new book by Dr Nick Bernards, Associate Professor in Global Sustainable Development, A Critical History of Poverty Finance, has recently been published by Pluto Press. The book looks at the history of financial 'solutions' to global poverty, tracing out links between colonial-era practices and contemporary fintech fads. It shows how past and present efforts to extend access to formal financial services have reinforced and exacerbated embedded patterns of uneven development.
"In this outstanding history of poverty finance, Nick Bernards show that financial exclusion persists not because of a lack of design or fancy technology but because the problem of uneven development is persistent and structural"
Andrew Leyshon, Emeritus Professor of Economic Geography at the University of Nottingham
- Dolan, C., Tshimba, D.N. & Nuwagira, G. (2022) ‘Social media and inclusion in
humanitarian action – the case of refugees in Uganda’. HPG briefing note. London: ODI
- Mandy Sadan, Patrick Meehan, Sai Aung Hla, Sai Kham Phu & Nang Muai Oo (2022) Young people’s everyday pathways into drug harms in Shan State, Myanmar, Third World Quarterly, DOI: 10.1080/01436597.2022.2090923
- Elena A. Korosteleva and Irina Petrova (2022) What makes communities resilient in times of complexity and change?, Cambridge Review of International Affairs, 35:2, 137-157, DOI:
- Smith, A. FAO should focus on real not nominal food prices Nature 602, 33 (2022) doi: https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-022-00221-4
- Brazeau, B. ‘Defying Gravity: Prose Epic and Heroic Style in Lucrezia Marinella’s 1602 Vita di Maria Vergine’ Classical Receptions Journal. 13.1 (2021) 9,500 words. In print.
- Fernandez, R. (2021) Community Renewable Energy Projects: The Future of the Sustainable Energy Transition?, The International Spectator, 56:3, 87-104, DOI: 10.1080/03932729.2021.1959755
- Fernandez, R. (2021) Shifting models of energy companies towards green economy in Europe, in Jenny Fairbrass and Nicholas Vasilakos (eds), The Rise of the Green Economy: Challenges and Opportunities. Cambridge University Press. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Rosa if you would like to access this chapter.
- Jones N., McGinlay J., Jones A., Malesios C., Holtvoeth J., Dimitrakopoulos P.G., Gkoumas V., Kontoleon A. (2021) COVID-19 and protected areas: Impacts, conflicts and possible management solutions. Conservation Letters, e12800, https://doi.org/10.1111/conl.12800
- Mandy Sadan, Seng Lawn Dan, Ja Htoi Pan Maran, Patrick Meehan, Jonathan Goodhand, 'The Pat Jasan drug eradication social movement in Northern Myanmar part one: Origins & reactions', International Journal of Drug Policy, 2021, ISSN 0955-3959, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2021.103181. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Mandy if you would like to access this article.
- Mandy Sadan, Ja Htoi Pan Maran, Seng Lawn Dan, 'The Pat Jasan drug eradication social movement in northern Myanmar part two: Deep culture & cultural psychology', International Journal of Drug Policy, 2021, 103179, ISSN 0955-3959, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2021.103179. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Mandy if you would like to access this article.
- Mandy Sadan, Ja Htoi Pan Maran, 'The Pat Jasan drug eradication social movement in Northern Myanmar part three: Legal pluralism & the challenge of everyday justice', International Journal of Drug Policy, 2021, 103189, ISSN 0955-3959, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2021.103189. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Mandy if you would like to access this article.
- Brazeau, B. 'I Write Sins, Not Tragedies: Manuscript Translations of Hamartia in Late Sixteenth-Century Italy' in Acquisition Through Translation: The Rise of European Vernaculars, edited by Alessandra Petrina, 55-72. Turnhout, Brepols: 2020. Please contact Bryan if you would like to access this article.
- Fernandez, R.; Dunne, S. & White, H. (2020) Impact Assessment of Holiday Activity and Food Provision in Cheshire West and Chester, Halton and Wirral - Summer 2020: Assessment of Provision and Coordination under Covid19. Commissioned by Edsential and Partners.
- Gavris, M. (2020) ‘Revisiting the fallacies in Hegemonic Stability Theory in light of the 2007- 2008 crisis: the theory’s hollow conceptualization of hegemony’. Review of International Political Economy, online before print (accepted 25 November 2019) https://doi.org/10.1080/09692290.2019.1701061. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Maria if you would like to access this article.
- Panichelli-Batalla, S. (2020) "Laughter in Oral Histories of Displacement: "One goes on a mission to solve their problems", Oral History Review 47:1 (2020): 73-92. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Stéphanie if you would like to access this article.
- Savage J.M., Cook S., Yeboah G. (2020) Tourist Traps: Assessing the Role of Tourism in Sustaining Life Below Water. In: Leal Filho W., Azul A.M., Brandli L., Lange Salvia A., Wall T. (eds) Life Below Water. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71064-8_126-1. Please contact Jess or Godwin if you would like to access this article.
- Schwartz-Leeper, G. (2020). "George Cavendish's Historiographical Moment", in A Companion to the Cavendishes, eds. Lisa Hopkins and Tom Rutter (ARC Humanities, 2020). Available open access.
- Schwartz-Leeper, G. (2020). "The State of the Art" in Richard II: A Critical Reader, eds. Michael Davies and Andrew Duxfield (Arden Shakespeare, 2020). Information here. Please contact Gavin if you would like to access this chapter.
- Brazeau, B. ‘Building a Mystery: Giorgio De Chirico and Italian Renaissance Painting,’ The Italianist 39.1 (2019): 20-43. Access the article.
- Bailey, D., Coffey, D., Gavris, M., Thornley, C. (2019) ‘Industrial policy, place and democracy’. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, vol. 12(3), pp. 327–345. Access the article.
- Gavris, M. and Heyes, J. (2019) "Varieties of labour administration in Europe and the consequences of the Great Recession". Economic and Industrial Democracy, online before print (accepted 17 May 2019) https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0143831X19861749. Access the article.
- Panichelli-Batalla, S. and Grzelczyk, V. (2019. "A Future, but at what Cost? Cuba and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's Quest for Sustainable Development", Third World Quarterly 40: 6 (2019): 1163-83. Access the article.
- Savage, J.M., Hudson, M.D. & Osborne, P.E. (2019) The challenges of establishing marine protected areas in South East Asia. In: J. Humphries & R.W.E. Clark (eds) Marine Protected Areas: Science, Policy and Management. Elsevier. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Jess if you would like to access the chapter.
- Smith, Alastair M. (2019). "Innovative approaches to teaching sustainable development". Encyclopedia of Sustainability in Higher Education. Springer. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Alastair if you would like to access the chapter.
- Mach, L., Ponting, J., Brown, J. and Savage, J. (2018) Riding waves of intra-seasonal demand in surf tourism: analysing the nexus of seasonality and 21st century surf forecasting technology. Annals of Leisure Research. 2018:1-19. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Jess if you would like to access this article.
- Sealey-Huggins, L. (2018). 'The climate crisis is a racist crisis: structural racism, inequality and climate change'. In: Johnson, Azeezat and Joseph-Salisbury, Remi and Kamunge, Beth, (eds.) The Fire Now: Anti-Racist Scholarship in Times of Explicit Racial Violence. London, UK: Zed Books, pp. 99-113. Access the chapter.
- Paddock, J. & Smith, A. (2017). What role for trade in food sovereignty? Insights from a small island archipelago. Journal of Peasant Studies, DOI: 10.1080/03066150.2016.1260553. Warwick access. Non-Warwick: Please contact Alastair if you would like to access this article.
- Harris, Kirsten. (2016). Walt Whitman and British Socialism: The Love of Comrades. New York: Routledge, 2016. Warwick access.
- Harris, Kirsten. (2016). "Poetry and Fin de Siècle Socialism." Literature Compass 13, no. 11 (2016): 724-734. https://doi.org/10.1111/lic3.12332. Access the article.
- Panichelli-Batalla, S. (2016). El testimonio en la pentagonía de Reinaldo Arenas, Tamesis Books, 2016. Warwick access.
- Schwartz-Leeper, G. (2016). From Princes to Pages: The Literary Lives of Cardinal Wolsey, Tudor England’s ‘Other King’ (Leiden: Brill, 2016). Warwick access.
Other key contributions
- Harris, Kirsten. (2012). "The "Labour Prophet"?: Representations of Walt Whitman in the British Nineteenth-Century Socialist Press." Walt Whitman Quarterly Review 30, no. 3 (2012): 115-137. 10.13008/2153-3695.2067. Access the article.
- Smith, Alastair M. (2009), ‘Fair Trade Diversification and Structural Change: Towards a broader framework of analysis’, Oxford Journal of Development Studies. Vol. 37 No. 4. Access the article.
View a selection of recommended readings to broaden and deepen your knowledge of global sustainable development.