Write an essay on one of the following topics:
1. How important is historical context to our understanding of pantomime? You may, if you wish, focus on one specific period.
2. Discuss the significance of the ‘Clown’ in Regency and early Victorian pantomime.
3. Discuss the representation of women in pantomime. You may focus, if you wish, on a particular period and/or a particular character-type.
4. Discuss the relationship between pantomime and theatre economies.
5. Does pantomime have a social impact? You may, if you wish, limit your answer to a specific period or periods.
6. Write an essay on the origins of British pantomime and the various influences that have determined its present form.
7. Discuss the relationship of British pantomime to cross-dressed performance.
8. Take one or two of the following – Cinderella, The Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin – and analyse the ways in which pantomime has drawn on original sources for some of its more popular subjects. You may, if you wish, also consider the relationship between pantomime and ‘Disneyfication’ in the example(s) you select .
9. Over the vacation visit a pantomime performance and write an extended critical analysis based on the understanding of pantomime you have developed during module.
10. Devise your own essay title, but clear it with me first.
Word length: 3000 words
Due Date: 12/01/2015*
If you are a one-term study abroad student, the essay must be submitted before you complete your time on the Warwick campus.