I was born in 1954 in Belgrade where I graduated at the Technical Faculty at Belgrade University in 1981. In March, 1993 I got a PHD degree with thesis "Analytical philosophy and visual art" at the Faculty of Visual Art, at University of Arts in Belgrade. I teach Aesthetics and theory of art at Faculty of Music, Belgrade and since 2002 I teach Art history and Aesthetics of architecture, at the Faculty of Architecture in Belgrade University. I am a director of MA and PhD Interdisciplinary studies related to Theory of art and media at the University of Art Belgrade, where I teach a variety of courses. At MA International Performance Research I am a professor responsible for teaching the course on Curatorial Studies.
Besides my career in education, I was an active member of Yugoslav art scene in 70’s and 80’s. I was a co-founder and a member of conceptual artistic Group 143 (1975-1980), and was co-founder and member of informal theoretic and artistic "Community for Space Investigation" (1982-1989). From 1988 I am a member of Slovenian Aesthetic Society. I co-edited magazine Katalog 143 (Belgrade, 1975-1978), Mentalni prostor (Belgrade, 1982-1987), Transkatalog (Novi Sad, 1995-1998) and magazine Teorija koja Hoda (Walking Theory, Belgrade, from 2001).
My research interests are 20th and 21st century art, art theory and philosophy. I wrote or collaborated on a number of books, book chapters and articles, which have so far been published in Serbian, Croatian, Slovenian, German, Hungarian, Chinese and English languages. Besides writing about art and teaching, I have been active as a curator of exhibitions on contemporary art since 1979. I conceptualized or collaborated on conceptions for exhibitions shown in Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia and I wrote one book on curation.
Books published (since 2000):
- “Ideologija izložbe: o ideologijama Manifeste / The Ideology of Exhibition: on the ideologies of Manifesta”, Platforma SCCA no.3, Ljubljana, 2002, p. 11-18.
- Impossible Histories – Historical Avant-gardes, Neo-avant-gardes, and Post-avant-gardes in Yugoslavia, 1918-1991 (ko-urednik), The MIT Press, Cambridge Mass, 2003, 2006.
- Epistemology of Art – Critical design for procedures and platforms of contemporary art education, TkH Belgrade, Tanzquartier Wiren, PAF St. Erme France, Advanced Performance Training Antwerp, 2008.
- Pojmovnik suvremene umjetnosti (Glossary of Contemporary Art), Horetzky, Zagreb i Vlees&Beton, Ghent, 2005.
- „Eine handfeste Geschichte aus dem Kalten Kreig – Internationale Referenze der Konzeptkunst im sozialistischen Jugoslawien“ (A Solid History of the Cold War – International Reference of Conceptual Art in Socialist Yugoslavia), from Kulturen der Differenz Transformationprozesse in zentraleuropa nach 1989 – Transdisziplinare Perspektiven, ed. Heinz Fassmann, Wolfgang Muller-Funk, Heidemarie Uhl, V&R Unipress, Vienna University Press, Vienna, 2009, str. 373-382.
- “Belgrade”, from Timothy O. Benson (ed), Central European Avant-Gardes: Exchange and Transformation, 1910-1930, LACMA Los Angeles and The MIT Press Cambridge Mass, 2002.
- “Art as Political Machine”, from Ales Erjavec (ed.), Postmodernism and the Postsocialist Condition, University of California Press, Berkeley, 2003.
- "Der Asymmetrische Andere - Die Untersuchungen Barbara Holub" ("The Asymmetrical Other: Barbara Holub's Investigations" iz Barbara Holub "Personal Investigation", Casablanca-Galerie, Wien, 1994.
- “The post-avant-garde: the group of six artists 1975-1978 and after”, from the catalogue Group of Six Authors, SCCA, Zagreb, 1998.
- “Fetishes and the sexual language machine: Vlasta Delimar”, from book-catalogue Telo a fotografie / Body and Photography, Pražsky dum fotografie, Praha, 1998.
- "Commentaire", "1Oe Biennale de Paris, Paris, 1977.
- "Art-Cognition (theoretical discourse-in-art, art and language)" (written with Zoran Belić W.), in the collection 'Soobstoj avangard', Aesthetic Society, Ljubljana, 1986.
- "Non Opera and Opera. The Cognitive Aspects of the Subject of Postmoderna" u "Subjekt v postmodernizmu", Slovenian Aesthetic Society, Ljubljana, 1989.
- "Three Basic Concepts of Form. A Visual Form's Analysis after the Postmodern" from Form in Art and Aesthetics, Filozofski Vestnik 1, Ljubljana, 1991.
- "Painting After Painting: The Painting od Susan Bee", M/E/A/N/I/N.G no. 18, New York, 1995.
- “Asymmetries of Language and Sight. Introduction to a Philosophy of Art”, collection “The Seen - Le Vu”, Filozofski vestnik 2, Ljubljana, 1996.
- “Three Readings of Body Functions in Merleau-Ponty (Figure, Environment and Object)”, magazine M’ars 2, Modern Gallery, Ljubljana, 1997.
- “Apocaliptic Spirits: Art in Postsocialist Era”, M’ars 3-4, Modern Gallery, Ljubljana, 1997.
- “Advocates: Art and Philosophy. Approachin the ‘Relations’ of Philosophy and Art in the 20th Century”, iz XIVth International Congress of Aesthetics “Aesthetics as Philosophy” * Proceedings - Part I - Introductory and Invited Papers, u Filozofski vestnik 2, ZRC SAZU, Ljubljana, 1999, p. 111-126.
- „Conceptual Art, Political Art, and Poetry of CODE“, Boundary 2 vol. 26 no. 1, Duke University Press, spring 1999, p. 249-252. ISSN 0190-3659
- “Status and priorities. A pre-consideration for Manifesta 3”, Platforma SCCA no. 1, Ljubljana, 2000.
- “Critical Phenomenology of Artwork: The Status, the Functions and the Effects of the Artwork at Manifesta 3”, Platforma SCCA no. 2, Ljubljana, 2000.
- “Energy - body/figure and theoretical narration”, Frakcija no. 19, Zagreb, 2001.
- “Fragmentary questions about the regulation and deregulation of representation”, Frakcija no. 22-23, Zagreb, 2001-2002.
- “The Ideology of Exhibition: on the ideologies of Manifesta”, Platforma SCCA no.3, Ljubljana, 2002, str. 11-18.
- “Indefinite questions about the opera and definite comments on the Dreamopera”, “Idea Campus Piran” (theme), New Moment no. 18, Ljubljana, 2002, str. 108-111.
- “The Limits of Discourse: A Lecture On The Relationship Between ‘Theory’, ‘Art’, And ‘Body’ in the XX Century”, iz Marina Gržinić (ed), The Body, u Filozofski vestnik 2, ZRC SAZU, Ljubljana, 2002, str. 63-73.
- “The Performance of Pedagogical Figures/Bodies”, Maska no. 72-73, Ljubljana, 2002.
- “Kritični postopki: modernizem, avantgarda, neoavantgarda in protokonceptualizem” (Critical Procedures: Modernism, Avanguard, Neo-Avanguard and Post-Conceptual Art), Filozofski vestnik št. 3, ZRC SAZU, Ljubljana, 2004, str. 73-88. ISSN 0353-4510
- “Theoretical Performance”, Maska no. 90-91, Ljubljana, 2005.
- „Critical Questiones About Deconstruction or About De-Centring of The Relation between Philosophy and Music“, Muzikološki Zbornik / Musicological Annual XLI / 2, Department of Musicology, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, 2005. ISSN 0580-373X
- „Politika in umetnost: po padcu berlinskoga zidu“ (Politics and Art: After the Fall of Berlin Wall), Filozofski vestnik 1, ZRC SAZU, Ljubljana, 2008, p. 91-103. ISSN 0353-4510
- „Remembering the Art of Communism: Analysis of Contradiction: Approaches and Transgressions“, journal Third Text – Critical perspectives on contemporary art & culture no. 96, vol. 23 issue 1, Routledge / Teylor and Francis Group, London, 2009, str. 15-24. ISSN 0952-8822 print, ISSN 1475-5297 online http://www.informaworld.com
- BAUHAUS 1919‑1933 / PAUL KLEE 1879‑194O (conception with Vladimir Nikolić), Gallery of Student cultural centre, Belgrade, December, 1979.
- PRIMERI, DRUGA SKULPTURA 1961‑1979, OD NOVIH TENDENCIJA ... MINIMAL ARTA ... ARTE POVERE ... CONCEPTUAL ARTA DO MENTALNIH PROSTORA (EXAMPLES, OTHER SCULPTURE 1961-1979, FROM NEW TENDENCIES…MINIMAL ART…ARTE POVERE…CONCEPTUAL ART…TO MENTAL SPACES), Gallery of Student cultural centre, Belgrade, January 198O.
- INFORMACIJE: MINIMAL ART & POST‑MINIMAL ART (conception with Biljana Tomić), Gallery of Student cultural centre, Belgrade, January 198O.
- PRIMERI MENTALNIH I SPIRITUALNIH PROSTORA/RADOVA (EXAMPLES OF MENTAL AND SPIRITUAL SPACES/WORKS), Gallery of Student cultural centre, Belgrade, March 1983.
- PRIMERI FOTOGRAFIJE U KONCEPTUALNOJ I POSTKONCEPTUALNOJ UMETNOSTI 1966 – 1985 (EXAMPLES OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN CONCEPTUAL AND POST-CONCEPTUAL ART 1966-1985) (conception with Zoran Belić W. and Dragan Pešić), Salon of photography, Belgrade, January 1985.
- UMETNOST – ETHOS (ART – ETHOS) (conception with Zoran Belić W), Gallery Sebastian and Interuniversity centre for graduate studies, Dubrovnik, March 1986.
- TENDENCIJE DEVEDESETIH: HIJATUSI MODERNIZMA I POSTMODERNIZMA (THE TENDENCIES OF 1990s: HIATUSES OF MODERNISM AND POST-MODERNISM), Centre for visual culture "Zlatno oko", Novi Sad, Dec-Apr. 1996.
- PrestupniČke forme devedesetih / Postmoderna i avangarda na kraju XX veka (OFFENDING FORMS OF 1990s: POST-MODERN AND AVAGUARD ART AT THE END OF XX CENTURY), with Ješa Denegri, Museum of contemporary art Novi Sad and Centre for contemporary culture Konkordija Vršac, 1998
- POLITIKE SLIKARSTVA (POLITICS OF PAINTING), Galleries Piran and Cankar’s House, Ljubljana, 2004-2005.
- KONCEPTUALNA UMETNOST (CONCEPTUAL ART), Museum of contemporary art of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, 2007; House of Legacies, Beograd, 2008; Gallery of Extended Media, Zagreb, 2008; Modern Gallery, Maribor, 2008; Gallery of Contemporary Art, Niš, 2009.
- ZORAN TODOROVIĆ – INTENSITY OF AFFECT, Museum of contemporary art of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, 2009.
- Time for revolution, Museum & Galleries of Ljubljana (Gallery Vžigalica), Ljubljana, 2009.
- NIKA RADIĆ – COMMUNICATION ABOVE ALL – DISCONTINUITIES, BREAKS, HIATUSES AND SHORT CIRCUITS, Museum of contemporary art of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, 2009-2010.