Many entrepreneurial students come from an international background and are holders of Tier 4 visas. The Home Office imposes strict restrictions on the activities students are able to undertake whilst studying in the UK and holding a Tier 4 visa.
If you considering setting up your own business, you must adhere to the following requirements in order to not contravene your Tier 4 visa requirements:
- Run a business
- Generate an income through the development stage, including product testing.
- Recover out of pocket expenses which have been incurred through the development stage, including producing a prototype.
- Do any activity that may be perceived as being self employed.
- Register a company at Companies House.
- Undertake any paid or unpaid work for an external organisation, including Unitemps or volunteering, for more than 20 hours per week.
- Undertake market research.
- Produce a prototype.
- Test the viability of an idea (but do not generate any income).
- Prepare a business plan.
For more information visit the Office for Global Engagement Homepage