I manage the portfolio of opportunities for Early Career Researchers at the Institute of Advanced Study. I am also responsible for organising the Institute's events and implementing our marketing strategy.
Please note that I work remotely on Wednesdays.
- Programme Manager, University of Warwick (Apr. '18 – current)
- Research Officer, University of Warwick (Oct. '15 – Apr. '18 | 30 months)
Leading a cohort of 30 postdoctoral research fellows and delivering a weekly training programme at IAS. Organising international events, maintaining online media and creating bespoke marketing material.
- Teaching Fellow (0.5 FTE), University of Warwick (Oct. '14 – Apr. '16 | 18 months)
Leading and delivering a research-led schools’ outreach programme to pupils from low participation backgrounds. This included managing the programme budget, writing project reports and directing a team of student ambassadors. In addition, I was secretary for the Chemistry Department Outreach Committee.
- IAS Early Career Fellow (0.5 FTE), University of Warwick (Oct. '14 – Jul. '15 | 10 months)
A competitively awarded a ten-month fellowship (£5780) capitalising on my doctoral research. This role involved writing academic articles, coordinating collaborations, presenting at conferences and supervising junior researchers.
- Tutorial Leader, University of Warwick (Oct. '14 – Jun. '16 | 15 months)
Collecting and marking written work and leading groups of first and second year undergraduate chemists through regular inorganic chemistry tutorials.
- Undergraduate Lab Demonstrator, University of Warwick (Jan. '11 – Mar. '14 | 3 years)
Leading groups of undergraduate chemists through taught lab experiments. I was responsible for maintaining a safe working environment and providing feedback both during and after sessions.
Qualifications & Professional Development
- Recruitment & Selection Training (March '17)
- Diversity in the Workplace Training (March '17)
- Warwick Administrative Management Programme (Oct. '16 – Jun. '17 | 8 months)
- Warwick Introduction to Management (Jul. – Sep. '16 | 2 months)
- Assertiveness (Mar. '16 | 1 day)
- Academic Careers & Employability (ACE) Programme (Oct. '14 – Jul. '15 | 10 months)
- PhD (Chemistry), University of Warwick (Oct. '10 – Oct. '14 | 4 years) Amphipathic α-Helix Mimetics through Asymmetric Self-Assembly on a Metal Scaffold. Supervised by Professor Peter Scott and passed with very few minor corrections. Investigating the design, synthesis and pharmacological testing of novel inorganic metallohelices as potent anticancer agents. During this fully funded research studentship I supervised junior co-workers, completed two secondments at the Institute of Cancer Therapeutics (University of Bradford) and a residency at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (with the University of Oxford).
- Postgraduate Certificate in Transferrable Skills in Science (Oct. '10 – Oct. '14 | 4 years)
- MChem 2.1 (Hons), University of Warwick (Oct. '06 – Jul. '10 | 4 years)
Publications & Conferences
First & Sole Author Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Global Futures: Building Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Research Careers, Vipond, Exchanges: The Warwick Research Journal, 2016, 4, 1, 140-146.
- Anticancer metallohelices: nanomolar potency and high selectivity, Kaner et. al, Chemical Science, 2016, 7, 951-958. (IF 9.14, 9 citations)
- Metallohelices: potential mimetics of alpha-helical peptides in cancer treatment? Kaner and P. Scott, Future Medicinal Chemistry, 2015, 7, 1-4. (IF 3.35, 7 citations)
- Asymmetric triplex metallohelices with high and selective activity against cancer cells, Faulkner* and R. Kaner* et. al., Nature Chemistry, 2014, 6, 797-803. (IF 25.30, 39 citations)
- Research Caberet (May '19) - Compere
- The Internationalisation of Research, The Shard, London (May '18) – Convener
- 2nd Forum of Asian Institutes for Advanced Study, Singapore (Dec. '16) – Speaker
- COFUND 2015 Beneficiaries Day, EU Commission, Brussels (Oct. '16) – Participant
- Global Futures, University of Warwick (May '16) – Convener
- The Future of Interdisciplinarity, The Shard, London (May '15) – Display Organiser
- SET for Britain 2015, UK Parliament, London (Mar. '15) – Poster Presenter