Thursday 25th March 2021 11.00am-12.30pm GMT (Microsoft Teams)
This virtual seminar will enable you to hear more about research on language and communication within healthcare contexts. This webinar aims to be a networking opportunity and discussion forum for academics from Warwick Medical School and the department of Applied Linguistics. The event would be of particular interest to anyone who wants to hear more about healthcare communication research or who would like to learn more about linguistic methods of analysis and different approaches to analysing qualitative data.
- Dr Stephanie Schnurr - Associate Professor, Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick
- Dr Katharine Weetman - IAS Early Career Fellow in the Unit of Academic Primary Care at WMS & Applied Linguistics, University of Warwick
- Miss Vivian Steurer - Research Assistant E-Government/E-Health, Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University
- Joelle Loew - Doctoral Researcher in Linguistics, University of Basel
- Dr Rachel Chimbwete-Phiri - Warwick Alumni & Lecturer in Language and communication skills, University of Malawi
11:00 – 11:10 Welcome, housekeeping, introduction – Stephanie Schnurr
11:10 – 11.25 Using corpus linguistics methods to examine hospital discharge communication experiences – Katharine Weetman
11.25 – 11.40 Contact Tracing Applications during the COVID-19 pandemic in Europe; Exploring the role of trust in members’ of the public decision making process in installation and utilisation - Vivian Steurer
11.40-11.55 An interdisciplinary project on language and palliative care in general practice: insights and experiences - Joelle Loew
11.55-12.10 Applied linguistics in HIV/AIDS antenatal consultations in Malawi - Rachel Chimbwete-Phiri
12.10-12.20 Q & A’s *
12:20 – 12:25 Closing remarks – Stephanie Schnurr
*please note there will also be an opportunity to ask questions within each speaker’s allocated timeslot
Please complete the form below to register for the event. The Microsoft Teams link to join the seminar will be sent to you once you have submitted the form.