I am the Programme Manager at the Institute of Advanced Study, where I manage the Early Career and WIRL-COFUND Fellowship Programmes and run the Institutes postdoctoral researcher trianing programmes. I also organise the Institute's Annual Symposium, Annual Report and bespoke events for postdoctoral researchers across the University.
- I currently convene the Academic Careers & Leadership (Accolade) Training Programme for Early Career and WIRL-COFUND Fellows at the Institute of Advanced Study.
- I organised the Institute of Advanced Study Annual Symposium - The Internationalisation of Research (17 May 2018) and Global Futures, Building Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Research Careers (19-20 May 2016).
- I organised for Karen Kelsky, US academic and author of The Professor Is In to visit Warwick to talk about hacking the US academic job market. She spoke to 93 early career researchers on 10 May 2016.
- I have previously been a team leader on the Postgraduate Certificate in Transerrable Skills Programme, directing groups of 5 - 10 first year PhD students through a two-day residential Team Building & Networking workshop.
- Latest Publication: Global Futures: Building Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Research Careers, Exchanges: the Warwick Research Journal, 2016 4(1), 140-146, R. A. Vipond*
- I currently sit on the Institute of Advanced Teaching & Learning Steering Committee as the early career researcher representative (2015 - present)
- I sat on the Inorganic Teaching Section in the department of chemistry as part of my role as an undergraduate tutor (2014 - 2016)
- I was the secretary of the Warwick Chemistry Outreach Committee during my tenure as Teaching Fellow on the Chemistry for All project (2014 - 2016)
- I organised my research group's meetings during the final year of my PhD and Early Career Fellowship (2013 - 2015)
- Recruitment & Selection Training (March 2017)
- Diversity in the Workplace Training (March 2017)
- Warwick Administrative Management Programme (October 2016 - June 2017)
- Warwick Introduction to Management (July - September 2016)
- Assertiveness (May 2016)
- Academic Careers & Employability Porgramme (October 2014 - June 2015)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Transferrable Skills - including Team Building & Networking, Project Management, Decision Making & Leadership (October 2010 - July 2014)
Research Experience - Read more
In July 2015 I completed an Institute of Advanced Study Early Career Fellowship in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Warwick, working with Professor Peter Scott and the University of Huddersfield. This project in designing and testing new metallohelical anticancer drugs was a continuation of the research that I conducted during my PhD candidacy, which I successfully defended in October 2014.
- Latest Research Publication: Antifreeze Protein Mimetic Metallohelices with Potent Ice Recrystallization Inhibition Activity, D. Mitchell, G. Clarkson, D. Fox, R. Vipond, P. Scott, M. Gibson, Journal of the American Chemical Society 2017, 139 (29), pp 9835–9838. I synthesised and characterised the metallohelical compounds described in this communication.
- Anticancer metallohelices: nanomolar potency and high selectivity, Chemical Science, 2016, 7, 951-958, R. A. Kaner, S. J. Allison, A. D. Faulkner, R. M. Phillips, D. I. Roper, S. L. Shepherd, D. H. Simpson, N. R. Waterfield and P. Scott*
- On 9th March 2015 I presented my work to MPs at the House of Commons as part of the SET for Britain event. Worcester chemist to present work to MPs
Teaching & Outreach Experience - Read more
Between October 2014 and April 2016 I held a Teaching Fellowship in the Department of Chemistry, University of Warwick. Through this I ran a Chemistry Outreach project and led undergraduate tutorials in inorganic chemistry.
- Undergraduate Teaching
- Schools Outreach
- During January - April 2016 I visited several local high schools to conduct demonstration lectures, workshops and STEM clubs as part of my Teaching Fellowship.
- I am a current StemNet Ambassador and would be happy to visit your school to talk about University, HE Science and post-A Level choices. Please email me at r dot vipond at warwick dot ac dot uk
- On 2nd and 9th June 2015 I travelled to Malvern College to show 178 local year 6 pupils the magic of Chemistry. My favourite part of the day was making a rainbow in a test tube!
- Chemistry demonstration goes with a bang at Crackley Hall School Crackley Hall Pupils Experience A Room With A Boom!
- Member of the Association of University Administrators since Nov 2017
- Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry Dec 2014 - Jan 2018
- Enhanced DBS certificate since Dec 2014