Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Student Forum

Student Forum Reverse-engineering vs physical modelling of real sounds [project idea]

You need to be logged in to post in this topic.
  1. Hey. I've had this idea for a project which has been gestating for a while, so just putting out some feelers in case anyone fancies it.

It basically involves reverse engineering a sound based on certain key features eg strong harmonics, formants etc, using additive and/or subtractive synthesis. Next would be to learn about the actual way the sound is produced in real life, and try to create a physical model of that, comparing the result to the reverse engineered sound for trueness to the real sound, computational efficiency etc.

I was thinking of looking at Mongolian/Tuvan throat singing as an interesting real-life sound :-)Thoughts?

2. I just submitted an Engineering assignment which was using Matlab to recreate speech using fundamental pitch and formant frequencies. I don't know how much research you've already done, but I'd be happy to discuss ideas if it helps. However, I don't think I would want to work on it as my own project. I didn't particularly enjoy the assignment...

3. Hey. Thanks! I've not done much research on that aspect of it apart from stealing someone elses supercollider code which does it. If I end up doing this project I'd be interested to know how you got on with that regardless of whether I end up being able to do this as part of the module or just on my own..

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Forum followers

Follower data is not currently available.

Search results