My name is Kathryn Maskew, and I am a second year PhD student, funded by the BBSRC. I am studying for my PhD at the School of Life Sciences as part of the Roper Group, supervised by Dr David Roper and Dr Adrian Lloyd. I am currently studying methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), as part of the MIBTP 'Food Security' theme. Staphylococcus aureus is a major causative agent of infectious disease, such as agricultural livestock mastitis. Furthermore, the threat posed by this pathogen is magnified by the emergence of methicillin resistance following the acquisition of MecA, a penicillin-binding protein that inhibits the antimicrobial action of beta-lactam antibiotics, such as methicillin.
Before starting my PhD, I obtained an MBio Masters of Biological Sciences in Biomedical Sciences (First Class Honours) from the University of Warwick. My fourth year research project with Dr Elizabeth Fullam involved the investigation of an essential enzyme (NagA) needed for cell wall synthesis in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. If you are interested in reading about NagA then you can read our paper here! doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.002597
Presentations & Conferences
- Postgraduate Research Symposium, University of Warwick (March 2019) - "Mechanisms of resistance in methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus"
- National PhD Training in AMR Inaugural Conference, University of Bristol (Poster, Aug 2018)
- BSAC Antibiotic Resistance and Mechanisms Workshop, Birmingham (Dec 2017)
- The Great Wall Symposium, Sao Rafael, Portugal (Poster, Sept 2017)
- INTEGRATE Bridging the Gaps in Antimicrobial Resistance Research, University of Warwick (Poster, June 2017)
- MIBTP Research Symposium, University of Leicester (Poster, April 2017)
- Molecular Mechanisms, University of Warwick (Presentation, 2016) - "MRSA and peptidoglycan biosynthesis"
- MIBTP Research Symposium, University of Warwick (Poster, 2016) - "The investigation of type IV pilins produced by Bdellovibrio bacteriovorus".
- MBio Student Research Symposium, University of Warwick (Presentation, 2015) - "The purification and characterisation of an essential enzyme involved in carbohydrate metabolism from Mycobacterium tuberculosis"
- Undergraduate Research Support Scheme (URSS) Symposium, University of Warwick (Poster, 2013) - "The pneumococcal interface between cell wall and protein synthesis"