Induction (week 0 - week commencing 24th September 2018):
- Induction will take place from Monday 24th September to Friday 28th September (inclusive). Your time will spent exclusively at the University or Warwick during that time.
- On the first day, please report to the University of Warwick, School of Life Sciences reception (building number 36 on the UoW map) where one of the MIBTP Directors will meet you.
- A full weeks induction schedule has been put together for your informaion.
- Your University of Warwick ID card will handed to you on arrival; this will enable you to access the building / meeting rooms (and the car parks if you register for a parking permit - see below).
- All MIBTP students will be issued with a 13.3 MacBook Pro with some enhanced memory as standard. This will be issued on your first day (and you will be advised how you will get this accepted by your local IT servers if you are to be based at Birmingham or Leicester). We strongly advise that you purchase a bag or sleeve to protect the machine from damage; ideally bringing it with you on your first day. (Please note that the MacBook remains the property of the University).
- Lunch is provided where stated on the induction schedule; please ensure that you make your own arrangements at all other times. There is a café on site, for your convenience, which provides a range of hot and cold food.
As PhD students, you are eligible to apply for a parking permit to use the staff carparks at the University of Warwick. The current cost of this for PhD students is £19.15 per month. Once you are fully enrolled, you can apply for a parking permit, as follows:
- You can purchase your certificate online (this page is also used by staff, so details about Workplace Parking scheme won't be applicable to you);
Click on permits, then University parking permits
Please click in the orange box ‘Your Permit – Apply/Update/Cancel’
The next page gives more information and you should ensure that you have read the relevant sections. Click again in the orange box ‘Your Permit – Apply/Update/Cancel’.
You will need to follow the instructions and complete your details. Once you have inserted your information you will be able to select your preferred permit start date.
Please note that your Department has given you access to Car Park 1, 1a at Gibbet Hill and Car Park 2.
Birmingham and Leicester students may not want to apply for a monthly parking pass, in which case you can park in the visitor’s spaces at a cost of £4.50 per day. Daily permits can be purchased at the School of Life Sciences reception and must be displayed in your car windscreen. Visitor parking is located along the left-hand side of car park 1 (also indicated on the UoW map); please note that these spaces fill very quickly and early arrival (before 9am) is advisable. Alternative visitor parking can be found
- There are various public transportation options for getting to Warwick, including bus, train and shuttle. This information can be found on the travel directions page on the Warwick website.
Pre-Arrival at Warwick (for students who will be registered at University of Birmingham or University of Leicester)
As you will be completing your term 1 training at the University of Warwick and visiting Warwick periodically during your studies for cohort meetings and potentially mini-projects etc we would like to register you at Warwick as visiting students. Registering at Warwick will enable you to gain access to University buildings, library and IT facilities etc.
How to register
- Please complete a Warwick Postgraduate Application form Select Course code: P-C1PBA: Life Sciences PhD (Leicester and B’ham students only)
- Qualifications: Please complete this section as this information will be required for creating your JeS record (BBSRC information database)
- References: Please leave the reference section blank (or enter not applicable) as we do not require references to be submitted. If you enter referee email addresses an email will automatically be sent to the referee requesting a reference.
Please note that you will not be required to submit any documents, as this exercise is purely to add you into the Warwick system, so that you can gain access to the university etc.
Pre-Arrival at Warwick (for students who will be registered at University of Warwick)
It is important for you to have received (and accepted) an unconditional offer of a place at Warwick before your start date. If you haven't yet received an unconditional offer please ensure that any conditions set out in your offer email are satisfied as soon as possible.
Before you arrive at Warwick (all students)
There are a number of things you will need to do to complete your registration:
- Upload a photo for University ID Card - Online photo submission is now open.
- Registration - Between 4 and 6 weeks before your course starts, you will be sent an email inviting you to begin the course registration process. Please do not try to complete the course registration process before you are asked you to. As a part of the course registration process you are agreeing to the University of Warwick's regulations. Please read these regulations. When you receive the email, please complete your online course registration. If you haven’t studied at Warwick before, a temporary password will be created for you so that you can access Student Records Online and begin the course registration process. To create a temporary password, you will need the following:
- Your Warwick University ID (seven-digit number on your Offer Email)
- Date of Birth
- Family Name
Access the email address you have previously registered with us (we’ll send your temporary password here)
If you already used Student Records, you can log in with your Warwick University ID and your existing password
- IT Services Account - Once you have enrolled you can apply for your IT services account; you will need access to this on day 1 of induction.
All students will also register at Birmingham and Leicester to allow for easier connectivity when attending these universities for masterclasses and cohort events. Please ensure that you have registered at all 3 universites before you join us to give adequate time for the process to be complete before the start of masterclasses in week 6.
Registering at Birmingham (for non Birmingham students)
In order to register at Birmingham, you will need to complete the Birmingham enrolment form and return it to Matt Phillips via email. Birmingham will also require a scanned copy of your passport for their records; please include this when you email your form.
Registering at Leicester (for non Leicester students)
Travel between universities and accommodation:
You will see from the foregoing that you will need to attend a university away from the one you are to be registered at for significant periods of year 1. In particular, in Term 1 you will need to be able to attend Warwick for all the training as part of the taught modules. We hope you will not restrict your choice of masterclass to one university and you must take at least one of your mini-projects away from your place of registration. Transport for some collective activities may be provided, but you will need to organise daily or weekly travel to suit the choices you make.
- In recognition of the need for extra travel and/or short-term accommodation in year 1, MIBTP will add £850 to your year 1 stipend in order to off-set unusual costs.
- Each University will also offer some assistance in finding suitable short-term accommodation.
- See current student blogs (below) for ideas about how best to plan accommodation and travel during the training year.
In order to receive your monthly stipend payments*, please ensure that you submit your bank details to student finance in good time; the first payment will be made around 1st October (you will need to have completed enrolment before you can enter your bank details). To do this:
- Login to: http://warwick.ac.uk/evision
- From your Student finance page select the “Providing Your Bank Details” tab on the left
- Then click on the “Collecting bank details for payments to students” screen
- Select the PG/UG Awards from the drop down list and continue to enter your UK bank sort code and account number
*Please note that you must have a UK bank account in order to recieve stipend payments.
Birmingham and Leicester students:
You will be contacted by your registered university with details on how to set up your stipend payments.
- 2018/19 student handbook
- 2018/19 student handbook for CASE / CASE students
From induction week all contact from the MIBTP team will be made via your Warwick email address. If this is not your first choice of email address, please ensure that a forward is set up from your Warwick address to avoid missing any important communication.
Student blogs - training year Q&As
The following question and answer pages were created by current MIBTP students of the 2017/18 cohort. They answer the most common questions regarding the MIBTP programme and provide tips and ideas for organising accommodation, mini-projects and PIPS. It is worth reading all of them, not just those which seem to correspond to you best (e.g. same University, department) as they are short and all contain valuable insights. If you would like to ask any of them further questions, please contact them via the email addresses provided.
- Alex Baker (Warwick iCASE)
- Nic Coltman (Birmingham iCASE)
- Sophie Edwards (Birmingham MIBTP)
- Amanpreet Kaur (Leicester MIBTP)
- Cathal Meehan (Warwick MIBTP)
- Ollie Odell (Birmingham iCASE)
Induction week slides
Slides from induction week can be found here after the event.
Postgraduate events / information
- The Welcome to Warwick webpages include further information for posgraduate researchers as well as details on the week of postgradute welcome events (outside of MIBTP) taking place at the university from 24th to 28th September;
- The University of Birmingham offer similar information on their welcome pages;
- This information for Leicester students can be found on the University of Leicester website.
Make contact with other MIBTP students via the MIBTP Students Past and Present Linkedin page
Any other queries?
If you have any other queries, please contact the MIBTP Officer, Kerry Davies at any time.