Specific Research Topics Under Current Investigation
Proteomics of protein glycation - the dicarbonyl proteome
- Sites of glycation in human albumin, haemoglobin, lens crystallins and collagen by dicarbonyl metabolites.
- Mapping of cellular proteins susceptibles to glycation by dicarbonyl metabolites and associated functional impairment.
- Molecular modelling of glycated proteins and prediction of hot spot sites susceptible to glycation damage.
Association of protein biomarkers AGE with chronic complications of diabetes mellitus (retinopathy, neuropathy, nephropathy, cataract, microvascular disease), atherosclerosis, chronic renal insufficiency, Alzheimer's disease, arthritis and ageing.
Assessment of carbonyl stress in diabetes - measurement of plasma dicarbonyls and dicarbonyl glycation adducts in haemoglobin, plasma and urine.
Evaluation of high-dose thiamine therapy for the prevention of diabetic complications.
Evaluation of inducers of antioxidant response element -linked gene expression for the prevention of diabetic complications.
Cancer chemoprevention and chemotherapy
- Evaluation of inducers of oxidant response element-linked gene expression for cancer chemoprevention.
- Role of glyoxalase I overexpression in multidrug resistance in cancer chemotherapy.
Protein damage and proteolysis in ageing
- Role of protein damage, decline of enzymatic countermeasures and cellular proteolysis in ageing.
- Anti-ageing effects of glyoxalase I and antioxidant response element-linked gene expression.