This module has been replaced in the MMedEd course structure by MD967: Evidence and Values in Clinical Education
The What is Learning? module aims to help students develop a sound understanding of the principles of adult learning.
The module aims for students to:
- Development of a theoretical base for lifelong learning in clinical practice
- An understanding of the principles of adult learning
- Ability to establish a learning culture with trainees and health care professionals
- Acquisition of skills to enable participants to reflect on and extend their own repertoire of learning styles
- Application of the General Medical Council’s (GMC’s) publication, Tomorrows Doctors, and the concepts of problem-based and self-directed learning
- Development of skills in facilitation of learning and mentoring
- The ability to identify learning needs and supervise the writing of a personal learning / development plan
- Ability to reflect on attitudes to, and feelings about learning and teaching
Understanding of the role of the assignment and portfolio in the learning process
Module Delivery and Assessment
The module runs over five days and uses a range of styles including lecturing, group discussion, presentations and reflection. The module is assessed by 4000 word assignment.